Not sure if this should go here or in resources, but I guess we'll start here.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Robert13, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert13

Robert13 Member

I've never been clinically diagnosed with any mental health issues, mainly because I've been without insurance for a little over five years. Major mood swings and massive depression have been an issue for me for as long as I can remember, all the way back to childhood, but they seem to be getting progressively more severe. In the last few months I've started hearing voices, and it's gotten to the point that I hear them almost every day now. I don't really think I'm that paranoid, but I have been getting more and more jumpy, and looking back, I've quit my last few jobs because I thought the management was out to get me and that they were always judging me. The mood swings have gotten to the point that I really don't feel like I can manage them on my own anymore. Any variations from my current patterns seems to push me much more than it should. I generally got to the same restaurant then go bowling with a friend from high school every week and the restaurant was recently closed for three weeks, so I refused to go bowling or even leave the house on those days. I've started to get tremmors in my hands and I'm constantly freezing cold. When I'm depressed I keep calling on my ex-girlfriend, who has been a good friend lately, but is a source of a lot of my anxiety, because just being around her makes me feel a lot better, but I know I can't rely on that all the time, it's not fair to her and I know my expectations of that relationship are completely unreasonable, at least I do right now, I'm sure in a day or two I'll be completely convinced she's coming back, again. Possibly the most annoying part of the whole thing, is that food has completely lost it's flavor. Been that way for a month now. Everything just tastes like, I don't even know what, not dirt, but not food either.

I'm not seeking a diagnosis here, but being as I don't have health insurance at all, what can I do to get some serious medical help. I don't have the will to hurt myself, but the thoughts are always there lately. Is there a specific process to having myself voluntarily committed? I'm in AZ and I know health care here is not top notch by any means, but I just need a chance to get pulled out of my current life and patterns and be in a safe environment for a while so I can try and get this under some semblance of control.
  2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i have felt how you have felt for many years of my "short" life.
    i'm in ireland though so i can probably not advise you fully on what you can do, but i want to say this
    you obviously do have a problem, and just becasue you havent the will to hurt yourself doesnt mean its any less of a problem, the thoughts can get stronger.
    i would suggest for you to search for free help services in your area, and start taking that route. look in your local directory, on google, all that kinda thing. you may find something.

as for wanting to be sectioned so you can get so control back, i know in the US its different. but here its very difficult to get commited, so idk what you could do.

i hope i've helped in some form, i just didnt want to read and pass by. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.