Not sure on life goal

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Lorax, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

So… I don't know what to do with my life. I have lots of interests. I tried game coding/ design. It wasn't my best skill, but it was fun. I love biology, but don't know what jobs that has. I sort of enjoy concepts like basic physics or evolution, but I'm not sure I can do math.

I really want to be a surgeon, sort of goal 1. Or anything in the medical field. I adore animals, but can't be a vet. I like helping, and kind of want to help in 3rd world countries.

If it seems like a lot of interests, that's the problem. I like keeping a wide variety of them & can't 'stay put' so I'm not sure how to keep an interest or find a stable goal. Just need some ideas or maybe advice on holding your interest, or possible career options.

Edit:
    Add writing & history.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Why don't you try volunteering? If the medical field interests you, then you can volunteer at your local hospital, get to know how the hospital and wards work and learn a few things about medicine, and how to communicate with patients. You can get a real taste of whether this will be something that will interest you as a career if you volunteer.

If helping third world countries is your aim, you could start by volunteering for charities and doing charity work. Maybe you can sign up to visit one of these countries for a few months, and help the people there.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

As Butterfly has said, try a few things out by volunteering.
    I did a vocational week at a hospital, whilst I was at school; it really clarified for me what the job would entail.

4. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I have years of nursing experience, but nursing was out of special circumstances. I could easily excel there, but it wasn't really my goal to do it longer than necessary. Though maybe they have other options closer to my main goals, guess I just need to ask.

More great advice, I was looking like few year placement. But, getting my name in the system & helping out here would probably make me really happy. Guess I'll see what we have. Small town, but surely they have something.

Thanks for the advice!

5. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

What job were you looking into?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.