Not sure what i expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostSpirit

Ok so early hours of yday morning i OD, did'nt wake up till 11hours later, felt crap, but was just thinking oh well that didnt work, about 4:30pm (gmt) i was shaking, and my vision was very blurry, i could just about keep my eyes open, dont remember a lot after that, apart from waking up in hospital, puked up a number of times, had to have a blood test and do a urine sample, i could'nt even stand properly let alone try and pee in a small tube, i must have feel asleep for a hour or so... i was told that i should stay the night and advised me to see a psychactrist, all they said was we cant give you a time. she could come out anytime, i was getting restless and annoyed,so i dis charged myself, they said i was free to go, because i was'nt under the mental health act or something like that, all the time i was there i felt like i was treated like a idiot, the nurse who checked me over said, didnt you think about your daughter befor you tried doing this, ( they so no how to make you feel better eh )
most of all i could see how upset it made my dad, i think he really understands how i feel now, im going to my doc tomoz, to at least try and sort myself out, i still think im beyond help, but least i can say i tried, im so tired even tho i have had a lot of sleep, i actually feel worse then i did yesterday morning, all in all the hospital was no help at all,they dont take seem to take it really seriously, but i guess they must see it as people like "us" wasting there time!!

Last edited by a moderator:

d-pressed

Hi

In the subject of your post you said you're not really sure what you expected, but you say the hospital was no help. What kind of help do you want? Did you want to be referred to a psychiatrist immediately instead of having to be put on a waiting list? Or did you just want to be treated in a more empathetic way by the hospital staff? Assuming in the UK you would know that NHS hospitals are terribly understaffed and the staff are low-paid, and probably treat dozens of patients with self-inflicted injuries every day. That's the fact of it, unfortunately. Nor can they can't section everybody under MHA!

Now you've been through it, you know it is best to see a doctor. That's good. For your sickness, have some good hearty meals with lots of green vegetables - especially with spinach, beans as they are good for your liver. If you are resting a lot you may get dehydrated so don't forget to drink lots of water.

You mentioned your daughter. How old is she?

LostSpirit

it would have been nice to be treated in a more empathetic way no i was'nt expecting them to fall over there self just for me, the nurse that checked me out, had'nt even heard of the pills i had taken.. yes i understand they are under staffed, but even when i was spoken to, it was basically just saying how selfish i was to even think of doing it. regarding the psychiatrist they couldnt even give me a time. when i was going to be seen, bare in mind my dad and daughter were waiting, my daughter has school aswell. wouldnt have been far to keep her there all night, nor for my dad to take time off work ( when he seriously needs the money )

my daughter is 4,

Last edited by a moderator:
:hug: i swear ppls attitude is shit, they always look at it as selfish, if anything, i think its not. how they treat people that are in this situation is selfish
well i'm happpy your going to the doc hun, come into chat, i know you've had a bad experience, but i'd be more than happy to talk with you, i seem to be able to help ppl, i dont really know why :blink: :hug: again xxx

I don't get why hospital people try to get involved. This sounds bad, but I'm not gonna try and make it sound better. There are certain things people should just leave alone and go abck to doing their jobs. Mentioning your daughter was just mean. I'm pretty sure you're aware of the fact that you have one. But it's good that you're going to see a doctor, to make sure your liver is still alright.

d-pressed

As someone who's been to hospital on numerous occasions, I don't think I have ever waited for short periods of time (I would consider a short period of time 2 hours) for someone to assist me. Although in emergency situations I've been treated quickly, in terms of after-care following an overdose when I was 14, I had to wait another day before seeing a social worker, and wait 2 weeks before I could see a psychotherapist. In regard to how the staff treated me, well, they just told me what was happening and told me they had lots of patients like me to deal with, and that was it. The feelings of guilt came on their own - and I was in a ward next to children on life support and with terminal illnesses.

I don't think it's so much selfishness in the way that the nurses treated you. They didn't explicitly call you selfish but were shocked that you would leave your daughter behind etc, because that is what anyone without 'mental health' training in this kind of situations would think/say.

Anyway, that's over and done with now, so you know you wouldn't want to do that again.

Have you got someone to look after your daughter when you or your dad can't?

LostSpirit

No thats the thing, my dad is my only support, is strange, when my daughter is about i can pull myself together because i no i have to, when she is at school or at my dads, thats when i go into myself, and have all these idea's of killing myself, i cant even think about it when my girl is around because i feel so guilty

yes i no now.. next time i take a od i will make sure i do it properly, seriously the way they treated me last night, i would have been better off dead, then i wouldnt have to have answered all there silly questions,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00