Not sure what to do, advice about uni/college

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Rockclimbinggirl, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm not doing that well in my 4 classes this semester. I have reached out to my school's counselling and health centre but things are moving really slowly. I'm not sure if I should take a break from uni or just go back part-time. I'm also considering dropping another class or classes since I don't want to fail. I'm wondering what others did. Did you take a break, how was it coming back?

2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

kcho. It took me 31 years to get my degree. I started in 1970, full time. Quit after 2 years. I did not know what I wanted to be when I grew up. (I still don't). One thing I have learned is that you don't have to know. Education is terrific even if it does not lead to a life long career. Besides, most people change careers many times these days.

I did eventually return to school, part time. I graduated in 2001. I call it the year of Hal. From the 2001 movie computer. I did have to take a quarter off after I returned. I was just too much of a mess to continue without a break. It worked out fine for me.

But even when I was going full time I did not take four classes. That is a lot. You may need to take it a bit slower. But whatever you decide, don't think of it as ending the chance for education. It would just be a time for you to re-energize. Even if you need to take a complete break from it, you can return. I guess I actually quit twice and returned twice. It worked out just fine.

Best of luck to you.

3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I don't know what is "normal" where you are - here it is usual to take 3 classes per semester. I don't believe it is possible here to take more or fewer than that - it is just how it is structured here. I actually dropped out of uni twice and eventually went back at 23 to finish at 26. I don't really recommend that if at all avoidable however.

If it is possible to drop down to three classes and that avoids you getting a fail on your transcript for something, then maybe that is what you should do. As I said, I am not sure how your system works, but slower is better than "not at all".

4. Rockclimbinggirl

@Freya
    For us full-time is 4-5 classes per semester. But in engineering some people even take 6 per semester. I believe it would be possible for me to drop down to part-time and take 1-3 courses per semester.

5. Rockclimbinggirl

Thanks @SillyOldBear
    Since I am studying engineering I do have to finish in within a certain amount of time. Yeah, I think I will consider taking fewer courses. I can always take the summer off to re-energize.

6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I hope you find a solution that suits you best, but it does sound like you need to at least slow down a bit.

The system here is very different, After grade 9 you have a few choices and I, like a lot of people chose 'gymnasiet' which takes 3 years of varied classes on different levels. I chose a language line there... I was so depressed and dealing what I am pretty convinced is PTSD at the time that I nearly even passed in the end. Had I not had a nice teacher in maths, and had an extra A level which made me able to double up my grade in the end I wouldn't have passed. Despite having an above average IQ and every education I took since I haven't gotten less than B+. I so hate that I never even thought about taking a break and starting over again when I was better.

7. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It depends, can you continue taking fewer lessons and doing the degree over an extra year? Why put more pressure on yourself that's unnecessary. You have to explain what is happening you at the medical centre as this might help to
    process your help. We are here for you as you no doubt understand. Ok, you take six months or a year break from your education, what are you planning to do apart from recovering your current feelings?

It's important that you have a plan as the course you do keeps your mind occupied but you need to think things through carefully. If I have come across horrible in any way, the I truly apologise. I just trying to realistic and giving you an honest opinion. Keep posting as you are important to us. Take care my friend.

8. Rockclimbinggirl

Thanks for being honest. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, part of my reason for posting this was to see what others have done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.