Notable Quotables

Discussion in 'The Gameroom' started by Prof.Bruttenholm, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

This is a chance to post famous, inspiring or interesting quotes to share with everyone.

One of my favorite quotes:

"Never let school get in the way of your education..." : Mark Twain

2. Nerve

Nerve Well-Known Member

i love Henry Rollins spoken words, not quite notable, but:

Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.

If you hate your parents, the man or the establishment, don't show them up by getting wasted and wrapping your car around a tree. If you really want to rebel against your parents: outlearn them, outlive them, and know more than they do.

I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone.

It'll destroy you if you try to make it mean anything to anyone but yourself.

3. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

Ooh, I like this one, although I can't think of any quotes specifically right now. D:
    I'll just throw in a few I do have, but I don't know where they originally came from, so we'll just say anonymous. :p

-It's easy to stand with the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone.

-So maybe you can't control the wind; but you can always adjust the sails.

I'll throw in some more if I can remember them.

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

'Rather be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not.' (think that was shakepseare)

'The strongest man is the one who stands most alone.'

(Love this one :tongue:) 'Homosexuality is God's way of making sure only the truly gifted aren't burdened with children.'

5. Prof.Bruttenholm

"It is not the strength of one's size, but rather the size of one's strength"
    Ancient Warrior Proverb

6. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

One of my favorite quotes is from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Sounds obscure, but it's because it was cut into one my favorite songs.

So beautiful, called "A Necessary End" by Saltillo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCFYMU6AuK4

"Of all the wonders that I yet have heard. It seems to me most strange that men should fear; seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."

7. Prof.Bruttenholm

"Freud will tells us to blame our parents, Marxism tells us to blame society, Astrology tells us to blame the universe, but when it comes down to it, we can only blame ourselves for not having the courage to accomplish our goals" : a famous professor I cant remember (if I do, I'll edit this post or re-post it)

8. jhhop

jhhop Well-Known Member

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” ~ Plato (428 - 348 BC)

“Love is a serious mental disease.” ~ Plato (428 - 348 BC)

“You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.” ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 BC)

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.” ~ Euripides (484 - 406 BC)

“There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man.” ~ Polybius (205 - 118 BC)

9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

"Razors pain you, rivers are damp, acid stains you, drugs cause cramps, gun aren't lawful, nooses give, gas smells awful, you might as well live."

- from the movie Girl, Interupted.

10. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

quote from my favorite runner, Steve Prefontaine...."Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."

11. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

"I've learned that people will forget what you said,
    people will forget what you did,
    but people will never forget how you made them feel."

by Maya Angelou

12. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

You have only to state a problem accurately, and you have in general stated the solution.
    A quote from Thomas Edison
    Pilots have a saying: you start out with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010
  13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel.
    Jimi Hendrix

I have this one little saying, when things get too heavy just call me helium, the lightest known gas to man.
    Jimi Hendrix

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.
    Jim Morrison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.