Nothing helps!

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by elvinchild, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

AHHH I CAN'T FREAKING SLEEP!!!! I hate this, when I'm up to 3, 4, 5 in the morning. Especially knowing that I have responsibilities tomorrow and I have to go to work and all that jazz. I'm bipolar and my circadian rhythm is also out of wack so I'm naturally pretty awake at night, but when I'm in a high mood swing the energy level is ridiculous and no matter how good/relaxed I feel I can't fall asleep. Then I get super worked up worrying about not sleeping and the consequences, and it gets even harder...

Nothing I do works to help me fall asleep when I'm like this. I've trying otc sleep aids, ambien, melatonin, l-theanine, warm milk, camomile tea... eating foods that are supposed to help induce sleep... meditation.... drinking.... (drinking helps but I know it destroys the quality of sleep... ambien leaves me in a panic so I don't sleep and its terrifying... all the other options are too weak)... The truth is those things only help when I'm already feeling sleepy and calm, they push me over the edge into sleep. But if I'm feeling energetic, or upset about something, they don't do a thing. AHHHH!
  2. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I've been having the same problem lately, not being able to sleep until gone 4 or 5 even though I have college or something else the next day. :sad: So I'm also in need of advice.
  3. sr123

sr123 Member

If you're a student, see if you can get marijuana. Don't try to be "cool" or anything - just let some friends know that you're having chronic sleep trouble and want to try pot to knock you out. It is actually extremely effective (though some strains are apparently better for making you sleep than others, which are more for just feeling buzzed), and my ex-gf used it for months when nothing else was working, saying it was a much safer alternative to Xanax, which she had been prescribed. Also consider seeing behavioral health services at your college if it's cheap.
  4. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

You could do this, but its a really shitty idea. Guy at my church did this, he ended up needing more and more, he eventually ended up on horse to sleep.

What worked for me is 2 weeks worth of zopriclone. This is a hypnotic that literally knocks you out. After 2 weeks, I had a sleep pattern established that lasted for 6 months.

When it gets disturbed too bad, straight back to the docs for another weeks worth, allows me to get some sleep, gets my OCD under control a bit because I'm not so wound up and it hooks that pattern back in.

Seriously, try legal drugs rather than illegal ones.
  5. Emily

Emily Active Member

i have a problem like that too but unfortunately my doctor wont give me anything to help me cos i have a high overdose risk. yea ok so last year i hoarded sleeping pills from a different doctor with the idea of ODing but this time i just need to sleep. a routine that helps (ish) is a cup of coco in a hot bubble bath, then read a book, not a horror or anything like that but something to help you relax, then put some lavender sprey on my pillow. it helps a bit but still takes me hours to drift off!
  6. bluepotatoe

bluepotatoe Active Member

I've been smoking pot, at first it works but now it just gives me more anxiety and it just keeps me up. I think the effect is different for everyone, but I have heard that it has adverse effects if you are bipolar ( which I am also), so it's probably not the best idea.

The only time I was able to sleep during mania is after getting a relaxing massage, haha. Lavender tea is an herbal sleeping aid, lavender has calming properties and promote sleep. You can have a nice lavender bath, use lavender candle, there are lavender pillows or just put a bag of lavender flower underneath, pretty much anything lavender (must be natural). I find the combination helps a lot if you are really tired and just needs a little push to shut out all the voices in your head.

Oh, and if its almost sunrise put on a pair of eye mask, it is impossible to fall asleep without complete darkness.

good luck I hope it helps!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.