Now or never

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Richpit10, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richpit10

Richpit10 Well-Known Member

I feel im on the verge of breaking down completely. I'm nearly 28, i still live with my parents and i have no job. I feel like i've gotta do something with my life NOW before it's too late. Because if i don't i'm going to become so disgusted and ashamed of myself that i'll just end it all. I've been wanting to do some kind of college/uni course, maybe in art for a while, but it's waaay to big a step for me in my current condition. What i need is some kind of half-way house. Either something part-time/ non-commital, or preferably something geared toward 'mentally ill' people that helps them gain confidence and reaclimbatise to the outside world again.
    Can anyone help me, as i'm getting desperate.

Thanks in advance
    Rich

2. Bipolarguy

Bipolarguy Member

sounds like how i felt a few months ago and still am dealing with. Im 21 i have had jobs but i just get depressed and dont show up. Im trying to get better taking my meds exercising.....but if you feel like you need a half/way house then maybe thats the step you should take. If it will solve the problem then you should do it. But yea i know how it feels to be a burden to ones family finacially.

3. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

Hi :)

Have you considered studying with the Open Univsersity at all? I started a diploma with them in February, and although it takes longer than the conventional uni, they are very well organised.. and in my case the OU was one of only a few universities that is accredited with the BPS (British Psychological Society).

It could be worth a go... as you get to work as and when you feel able.. and you don't have to attend lectures, etc (although they do have 'tutorials' that you can attend if you want.. mine were once a month). Instead, if you want to talk to other students, you get access to forums on the OU website where you can post and reply to messages, etc.

And i'm glad that you're looking in to the option of doing something positive.. :hug:

4. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

As you know, I suggested the OU too for as Jenny says, they are good and not too pressured (ahem). I also attend a unit in an NHS building but which is run by a local college which is for people with mental health problems. It is really very good. You should maybe make some enquiries in your area to see if there is anything similar. Either way, don't give up... there are things out there which will help you to move on.
    lol
    xx

5. Richpit10

Richpit10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I've looked at the OU and there are some courses that interest me, but they dont do art. I just feel so trapped. I need to get out, but i'm too afraid. I feel like i need to be in an understanding environment with people i can talk to, but anything like uni or college is going to be a nightmare. :wallbash: Has anyone got any more ideas?

6. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Contact MIND and see if they know if there are any groups for people with MH problems in your area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.