Number of people taking medication

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by BH Manners, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BH Manners

BH Manners Member

I read a statistic where up to 1/3rd of the adult population of the United States is on some sort of anti-depressent medication.

Now, I know there are those who truly needs these medications. Please take them if you do need them.

However, the fact that so many people need them just to function seems to say there is something wrong, not with these people per see, but with our culture and the value system we hold here in the country.

What do all of you think?

If this is in the wrong thread please move it or delete it.

2. Denikin

Denikin Well-Known Member

Some AD are used for other things, i. e. Prozac for anxiety or Desyrel as sleeping aid. So statistics do not say everything.
  3. BH Manners

BH Manners Member

You are of course correct.
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I take my meds because I am my own worst enemy. I don't know if our culture has anything to do with it. I just feel like I was a mistake and should never have been born. My mother lost a baby to miscarriage and they decided not to try anymore and then guess what I happened. Poor planning on there part. I hate everything about myself. But I care about others so much that I get hurt myself sometimes for getting to envolved!!
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think you're right.
    We look upon a world that is fucked up.
    We don't attempt to change things, but take pills to adjust and toughen up to this sick world.
  6. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

Where did you get that statistic from? Somehow it doesn't surprise me, but in another way I bet a lot of them shouldn't actually be taking them.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

wow 1/3...That surely can't be correct:blink:
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Epilepsy medications have anti-depressant properties, too.

However, sertraline was prescribed 30 million times in 2007 in the US alone...

What does that mean? When we on a suicide forum say "I take anti-depressants", that means a reasonably high dose every day for a long time for major depression. When a study says, "these people take anti-depressants" does it mean they were once prescribed them? For what reason? How much? How often? How long?

Noteably, there were 200 million anti-depressant [proper; tricyclics and SSRIs and such] prescriptions in the US in 2007. But there's not enough data to make any useful statement about the situation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.