Number sequences

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by me1, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Anyone any good at number sequences?

I have this sequence and it asks what is the next number in the sequence. I found a way to to it and it comes out as 6, which seems really strange when you look at the sequence, until you understand my 'reasoning' in concluding that this is the right number. But anyway, here is the sequence if anyone knows of another answer and can explain there reasoning please do.

0 1 1 2 4 12 ?

2. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

4 x 12 + 12 = 60.
    Therefore, 60 is the next number

3. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

My way is much more imaginative.

0 1 1 2 4 12

Convert the numbers into words.

zero one one two four twelve

Take the last letter from each word and count the number of letters between
    each two letters in turn, i.e the number of letters between the 'o' from zero and the 'e' from one, the number of letters between the 'e' from one and the 'e' from the next one, and so on.

It comes out as

10 0 10 2 12

The sequence here is

down 10, up 10, down 8, up ten

So, while it is always up 10, the down goes 10, 8, ...

So, 6 would come next.

Back to the letters, the last letter of the last number in the sequence thus far was 'e' and and as it was 'up' in the up/down sequence previously, it must be down. So, if we go down we see that there are 6 letters between 'e' in the alphabet and 'x', so x must be the last letter of the next number in the sequence. So, it has to be the number 6 = six

0 1 1 2 4 12 6

---

Of course you can always just times the first number by the second and then add the second, as you have done, too. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.