Numbers, numerology, gematria, kabbalah

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by MrDepressed, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I wanted to open a discussion on numbers and spirituality and find others that may find this subject interesting and hopefully garnish some insight about them.

To many it might seem futile and nonsensical to look for higher meanings in numbers, but I for one believe there is something more to numbers than meets the eye.

I had first got interested in numbers as a spiritual/mystical thing through some different numerology books, that break down your given name into numerics and than describe certain or many features of the person, such things as life paths and biorythms, etc.
    Than I was led into gematria by reading Alleister Crowley's book 777, and I found it very intriguing that hebrew and greek dont have seperate number symbols for their written language but rather use their alphabet to convey numbers as well, for example a = 1 b = 2, etc, etc.
    Than the verse Revelation 13:18 mystified me;
    This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.
    666 itself didnt mystify me but rather that it called for insight, wisdom and understanding... Pointing towards a higher meaning to numbers.... the way that 666 interested me was that it was a triangular number so I sought to find the other triangular numbers in the bible, 153 and 276 respectively, and I found some interesting qualities to each of these numbers, but each could be gone on and on about.
    But none the less this all paved my way into a deeper interest in numbers and our lives in a mystical sense and I wonder who else has an interest like this, or just an opinion on it either negative or postive, and what sort of interest they have in specific areas, be it numerology, gematria, kabbalah, etc...

A few links I found interesting;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Panin

2. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I find numerology interesting-even as simplistic as examining the house numbers of addresses I've resided @ over my lifetime. Fung shui can be fun;
    i.e.-the color red & metal should be placed @ the northeast corner of house:laugh:why? A friend fung shui'd my furniture a few years ago and it didn't work.
    She may not have known what she was doing-I kept falling over furniture and ended up moving everything back where it was.
    Astrology can be interesting. My father was an astronomer, my mother an astrologist who corresponded w/ Jean Dixon. My parents had their disagreements:rolleyes:, but the fact remains that our bodies & this planet are made up mostly of H2O, which responds to gravitational pull quickly. Orbits of planets in our solar system, and outside of it, MAY affect our lives. Had my chart done 2 years ago and it was uncanny how many events occurred which were specifically mentioned in the chart. One could easily say, self-fulfilling prophecy. Except it was a yearly chart done mid-year and several significant events mentioned in the chart had ALREADY occurred.
    Go figure. Factoid-any cop, EMR or other crisis staff WILL concur that a full
    moon ALWAYS involves A LOT more work.
    BTW, all this is referred to as 'magical thinking' by many:biggrin:

3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Numbers always have confused me but they are exciting in a way and I'm not bad at them I just get frustrated with them. I prefer words/sentences and pictures mainly and am generally on the look out every day for things that mean something for me. I do know when things in my flat aren't 'right' and I need to get 'rid' of areas which are too 'thick' (mainly memories) My uncle is into all of this numerology/astrology stuff though. As for astrology I've been told I'm a typical Piscean but I've never taken much notice of all that..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.