Obama ending a unfinished fight?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Young suicider, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Obama wants to have all combat troop out by August and just have some to stay there to watch.

But what I wonder is that what about the objective for 10 years:Osama Bin Ladin

What kind of message is he sending to the World?
    He's giving up?

Will this encourage future attacks?

I have one more question:

Why is there so much security at air ports on 9-11 but no other day?
    If you were able to make a plan to hi jack a plane Id hope you'd use common sense to not do it that day.

Do they do this to make air ports seem safer,but they really aren't?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Giving up? Not really, that's something you do when you still have a chance. Eventually either your political will or budget would completely collapse - currently they're just weakened. The fight's over, the US has lost, and the sooner they get out the less painful the defeat will be (and no one knows whether Osama Bin Laden is dead or alive, besides.)

3. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Watch what? The indigenous peoples duking it out for power?

Simple. Never was the 'objective'. It was all about the Caspian Sea oil reserves and the restoration of the Opium trade.

That the original stated objective was BS? :p

Nope, but killing all those Afghans probably will leave a fair few of the survivors miffed enough to sign up for someone. What was the response in terms of military recruitment figures in the immediate aftermath of 9/11? Did they go down or up?

There was?! Source?

4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It's really one of those lose-lose situations - if we stick around, we may merely be delaying the inevitable, at the cost of more blood and money. We saw this happen in Vietnam, when we kept the fight going long after all signs pointed to it being unwinnable.

If we bail out, we'd be ending further bloodshed (at least on our end) but at the cost of appearing weak, letting the region deteriorate further, and possibly opening ourselves to a retaliatory attack. Or in the end nothing may happen at all. No one really knows, given how unpredictable politics and human action can be.

I've read so many different books and articles that each claim many different consequences. Ultimately, each option has it's pros, cons, and uncertainties. There's really nothing Obama - or anyone - can do to ensure a perfect victory. Either way, in my opinion at least, it'll feel like we're losing in some way regardless of what we decide.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  5. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

The U.S can't afford to keep this going much longer anyway. They're broke and enough soldiers have lsot their lives... I don't see it as "giving up".. they did a lot of good, even if they could not complete all their objectives

6. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

There's just a point where the smartest thing to do is cut your losses and go home. I'd say he is ending an unfinished fight but if the end isn't in sight and you know you can't sustain your end of it indefinitely, it isn't wise to cross your fingers and keep going. Especially when you have millions of people watching your every move, waiting for you to get them out of the financial cesspool somebody else put them into.

To your second question, it's just common sense. They probably expect terrorists to be smarter than that but at the same time it would be foolhardy to just assume that and do nothing when it's the only indication, small as it might be, of a possible attack they have. Heaven forbid an attack actually happens on 9/11 some other year and the rest of the world goes "Wow, twice in a row. Didn't they see that coming?".

7. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

I was told from a reliable source, yesterday, that an a terrorist attack on the public transport system in the Uk, is imminent. Not that i want to frighten any of you, but the security has been upgraded to category two, in the last week ( one step down, from yes, its definitely going to happen). However, you still have to carry on using the public transport system, regardless. Well i do, anyway.

8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Im not american, but they know all about this category terrorist level shit.
    Ill eat my words if it happens but your post made me chuckle.
    You sound totally unreliable yourself. Please in future post sources and facts or dont post like this at all.

9. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

no, we're not giving up. we're training the afgani military and police, we'll still have a presence there and we'll send more help if needed. however, i dont think obama should have announced when he was pulling the troops out. you should never give the enemy that advantage.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  10. nos nomed

nos nomed Well-Known Member

So we are training more of them to understand how American security works just like we trained Bin Laden which started all of this. Anyone else see the irony of that. Our government like nazi germany has failed to take heed to the most correct war documents ever written because they are thousands of years old so we don't believe they apply to modern times.

11. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

If you say so

Ok, i won't post on the forum again

12. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

well thats just being childish. If you don't get why posting "ive heard from a reliable source that a terrorist attack on the uk transit system is immanent" is irresponsible then... It serves no purpose but to cause panic and fear.
    Do what you wish but I did not say don't post on the forum.

13. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

hehehe, we gave them the need to know, not everything. also, our methods of operation(including security, not limited to)are constantly evolving. training the mudja hadin,(sp?) though it did have bad reprecussions, worked out for us at that time. we wanted the russians to lose and get out of afghanistan and thats what happened. unfortunately, no one can see into the future. you have to do the best with what you have and what you know. we are currently trying to set up some form of democratic government there that can take care of itself. now ppl are voting, fixing infrastructure, women are going to school, etc. all we can do is train them to take care of themselves or occupy them (or do nothing...) we can't babysit the world forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.