Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by shades, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

In general, do you think he will be good for world politics or not? Now that he's been in office for a couple of months I've noted the following: he's made headway on human rights by closing our torture center at Guantanamo Bay but he will still allow the CIA to capture people they deem terrorists which I totally disagree with. He has made headway into the economic disaster of the U.S. and is trying to meet with as many international politicians as possible to come up with an economic plan that works for everyone. He has made headway into new types of energy...wind,solar,geothermal. He has "saved" hundreds of thousands of acres of forestland and national parks by declaring them off limits to oil exploration. I'd like to hear from people outside the U.S. as well as inside. Can he make a positive difference here and on the worldstage?
  2. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I actually don't think he'll ultimately be all that different from Bush 43. Both seem to think the state can solve all problems and that individual rights are a pesky problem to be squashed wherever encountered.
    Mandatory national service, anyone?

Construction on the 'bigger than the Vatican' embassy in Baghdad is proceeding apace. We're gonna be in Iraq for a long, long time. Or until bankruptcy, whichever comes first. And look for stepped up activity in Afghanistan, with that not ending any time soon, either.

...by running the printing press, and being captive to the Soros/Bernanke/Geithener Wall Street cabal. And we'll have to see how much longer the US dollar remains the world reserve currency. The Chinese are gettin' very antsy about dollar dilution.

Thus far he's managed to insult the British and has no answers to the schisms emerging in the G20 that I can see.

Why is this the government's job? What practical technology has EVER emerged from a government lab? And what 'headway' has he made, anyway? As best I can tell nothing but a few photo ops as of now.

And, in any event, if your name is Ted Kennedy you get keep those pesky wind generators from mucking up your view on Martha's Vineyard. Poor little peasants in rural areas have them, Ted Kennedy doesn't. Seem fair to you?

I support this, and I'm glad he did. Quite frankly I don't think there's all that much oil there, anyways, at least in terms of what I've seen vis a vis Alaska.

Too soon to tell, but I must admit I'm disappointed in Hillary as Secy of State so far. I thought she'd do a better job in articulating herself, and so far she really hasn't. Probably that cabinet position was foisted upon him, but since he's stuck with her until 2012 at least, and she's the Administration's point person on all foreign affairs, if she doesn't start doing a better job he's in some trouble.

FTR: I voted for Bob Barr (Libertarian) in the last election.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I agree with most of what you have to say but I think that Obama is at least more presidential than Bush was. I think he has a little more respect internationally anyway which can't hurt. I totally agree about Hilary...very disappointing. I'm kind of surprised that there's not much interest in this post considering the world condition. I know it's SF, but other, seamingly less interesting posts get a lot more attention.
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Good thread!

World's Edge pretty much summed it up for me though! I am, however, a tad more optimistic about Obama.

Its the growing cynicism and apathy of this generation (if not the country as a whole) that has me more worried.

That and Congress. A President is only so powerful and independent, for it is truly Congress that has the last say (or in the case of commerce and fiscal policy, direct power).
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

who thinks he's the anti-christ?

i like him so far
  6. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

He's the African-American Tony Blair.

Both have great auditory skills.
    Both came from left wing parties that haven't really been left wing in a long time.
    Both ran their elections on change.
    Both were elected after unpopular reigns by right wing parties.
    Both were greeted with fanfare on winning their elections.

and, historically, both will be considered to be just another couple of politicians, doing the same dance they always do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.