Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ruby, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

How do people let themselves become obese?
  2. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

For many people, it is not their choice, I have both sides of that in my faimly. One aunt is 120 pounds, which is great. My other aunt is 308 pounds... but that is not really all her fault. She was the "fat" baby, 40 pounds at one year old. That is not normal, however, there are steps she could be taking to lose the weight, she does not feel the need.

3. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

Some people might comfort eat to cope with depression, I just became a drug addict instead otherwise I'd probably be gigantic.

A lot of things make a difference, genetics, lifestyle choices, etc. I only eat when I'm hungry really which never used to be very often. Since I started doing some training I noticed I automatically started eating more. I think it can become quite hard to break habits once they start and things can spiral.

I really struggle to put on weight, I'm at my heaviest now at about 11.5 stone but it has taken a lot of training to increase my weight that much, I've still got too much fat on my belly though, but I'm planning on running it off soon.
  4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I ate to make sure I was not attractive and so that I would have something else to feel ashamed of...today, i have lost 120 pounds and it is just as hard to stay overwt and it is to stay normal wt...just calories in reverse, plenty of water, excercise, and more self-confidence...I have also found that in the past when i was stressed, I ate...today, I completely forget about food...ah, nothing is without it shadows...J
  5. bronwyyn

bronwyyn Well-Known Member

My ideal weight is about 125 pounds but right now I weigh a little over 200 (too scared to get on the scale). I'm a size 16, verging on 18 (I'm happy at 8-10).

I have been down to 130, where I'm happy, but I've never been this big before in my life. It sucks.

There are several reasons why I have gotten so fat. First, I have a bad knee and even standing or walking for 10 minutes puts me in terrible pain. I tried doing some excersize videos that are easy on the knees, and even that made it worse. It just hurts too much to move.

I eat to help stress and depression. I get cravings for sour cream and onion chips or chocolate or whatever, and if I don't eat what I crave, I get super anxious and depressed.

People always say that you should never eat at night or before you go to sleep. I am, and have always been, unable to fall asleep unless I have just eaten.

My wieght has fluctuated my entire life. It's always going up or down. To lose wieght, I have to be "in the mood", and then the only way I can do it is a crash diet, no more than 500-700 calories a day, and I excersize constantly. I have never been able to lose weight in the way you're supposed to because I don't see results fast enough and I can't put the food you're supposed to eat (like chicken breast without salt) in my mouth. I don't like meat. I love salt. I like vegatables and starches (pasta, potatoes). Eating food I think tastes nasty makes me horribly depressed and anxious, and just makes the cravings for the foods that I like worse.

I also have to be completely alone to do it. Like, my husband went to Korea for a year, and I lost about 50 pounds in the last three months before he got home. But as soon as he got home, I started cooking for him again, and if there's food around me, I don't have the willpower not to eat it, so I gained all the weight back again.
  6. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

i run an hour a day, and lift weights 4 times a week just to maintain a soft body. If i don't do that, i put on weight like a mothafucka, even if i watch what i eat (i do anyways so i can stay somewhat healthy).
  7. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I'm somewhere around 310 lbs (haven't been on a scale lately) and I'm definitely overweight but I'm not what you think of as obese. I'm 6'1 and think of nfl lineman (proportioned well and can push a truck).

I've always been big and when I was playing ball and working out I shifted weight from fat to muscle, never dropping below 270.

I eat pretty healthy but I have my sugar vices and with the depression I have no motivation to put up with the muscle bound morons that grunt away at the gym.
  8. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I'm way shorter than you but I know what you're talking about. Even with my regiment I'm fighting the bulge, lucking for me that running makes me feel good.
  9. thegrey

thegrey Member

Emotional eating I think. That way gets you obese really fast. Eg me xD
  10. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

Im pretty much the same. I have had anorexia twice, and suffered on and off for 6 years with bulimia. The only way i have been able to avoid those is by binge eating, and now im too fat and miserable to do anything/
  11. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I guess I'm a little 'different.' I currently weight 150-155 lbs. I'm 27 years old and I'm 5'8". I've been trying to gain some muscle mass now for a couple of years, but it just isn't working. I eat big meals and lots of protein and carbs and I strength train, but I just can't put on weight. Also, if I don't eat big meals then I start losing weight.
  12. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Some people are destined to be overweight I think. Some is hereditary. I guess the question could also go the other way. how can people allow themselves to be so thin? I am heavy, yet I eat little (one meal a day and no snacking) I walk about 6 miles a day sometimes more. i work full time and do not sit around much. I didn't allow myself to become overweight, it just happened.
  13. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

I also tried to gain weight and failed.
  14. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

I dont understand it either. A lot of it is genetics though. I haven't exercised in about 3 years, have been eating like shit too. I weigh about 175 with veiny arms and a sixpack. That is probably the only thing I have going for me.
  15. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I'm obese because I've been living a sedentary life style ever since I was diagnosed schizo, so for over a year now. I was always a little chubby but I now weigh somewhere around 280lbs. I use to eat to fill a void in my life but I have just recently trained my mind to not crave food so much. Most often now I only eat when my body says that I'm hungry, such as my stomach growling or a mouth and throat hunger sensation. I've been eating one meal a day now instead of three and have been slowly losing the excess weight.

People become obese for many reasons, but I think for most it's a mental addiction to food. I say this because that is what one of my main problems was. For a lot of people I think the problem stems from childhood. We are taught to finish whatever food is on our plate so nothing goes to waste. All the serving sizes have been increased immensely over the years. Most overweight people don't even know what true hunger is.
  16. bronwyyn

bronwyyn Well-Known Member

I so completely agree with that. Food is my only addiction. I have no problem with drugs or alcohol or anything like that. I can quit anything cold turkey. But the problem with food is you CAN'T go cold turkey. You have to eat; and when I eat a little, I want a lot more. It is completely a mental addiction, but one that is impossible to break. That's why the *only* way I have ever been able to lose weight is an extreme crash diet.
  17. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

It is an interesting subject, looking at the psychological aspect as well. If I never finished what was on my plate my mom never made a fuss, but I always felt guilty when I couldn't eat it all because I thought it was wasteful. We were never forced to eat our food, the dog just got a bit fatter instead. One incident I remember vividly was once when I was in Junior school I didn't like the food and when I went to empty my plate this massively obese dinner lady went mad at me and told me to go and sit back down and eat it all and not come back until my plate was empty. I was upset as I didn't even like the food but luckily for me there was an overweight kid on my table who was eager for an extra meal or I would never have got out of there. She obviously had a serious food addiction. Even now I rarely eat in public places because I don't want to be seen wasting food if i'm not hungry enough to eat it.
    It is a mental addiction but it is all about willpower, the same as drugs. Very few things are impossible, a calorie restricted diet is not one of them. I can tell you it is far harder to cold turkey off heroin than it is from food . Everybody has their weaknesses but they can be beaten. I quit cigarettes last week, I don't drink alcohol, don't do class A's anymore, years ago I stopped heroin cold turkey, I don't overeat, but I just love cannabis like fat people love food. I could easily quit if I really wanted to but I like it too much and don't want to.
    I agree. Actually I think, having an empty stomach and feeling hungry are distinct things. The feeling of true hunger takes a while to be signalled by the brain. Most people mistake an empty belly for hunger.

The last point I'd like to make is just about adaptability. The human body adapts over time to the demands placed upon it, if you practice something you get better at it, both the mind and the body responds. Examples would be muscular strength, or learning a skilled task. The same thing is gonna happen during consistent overeating, the stomach is going to stretch larger to accomodate more food and the digestive system will adapt to cope with increase food intakes. Thus it can become self perpetuating and run out of control. It only takes overeating by x number of calories per day to gain weight, it will just take y number of years, the bigger the calorie surplus the more will be stored as fat. Bascially almost everybody who has access to food in developed countries overeats, it is said that lowering calorific intake by 40% is the only scientifically proven was of improving the longevity of life.
  18. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

19. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't say I'm obese. I'm probably about 35-40 pounds over my ideal weight. It just kinda happens. You sit around, not doing too much. Not wanting to do too much. If you're depressed, food can be one of the few things in your life that brings you any kind of pleasure. The more you eat, the bigger you get. At some point, you realize you've lost control but by that time, you're so far out of control, it takes a whole lot of work to get your weight back under control.

And then, because you were depressed in the first place, you're just that much more depressed that you've lost another measure of control in your life and you feel even worse about yourself. Which is even more paralyzing. You feel like total crap and you don't think there's any way out so you just reach for another bag of chips. That's my theory.

Also, many people can abuse themselves to a certain extent when they're young and their body can stay ahead because it's still developing and it's still very healthy. everything is still working right. When you get older, you might not feel any different but things slow down. Your metabolism doesn't stay ahead anymore and you'll get further behind when you abuse yourself than you used to. Obviously, when you eat too much (more than your body needs), the extra weight doesn't show up right away so it's kind of easy not to notice. Our minds are incredibly adaptive. Sometimes it takes a really drastic change before we really notice it. For instance, daylight is very blue and indoor incandescent light is pretty red. But you don't really notice it so much because your mind adjusts for it. You'll only really notice it in certain situations.

I was about 150 pounds from the time I was about 14 until a year or so ago. One day, I was just getting ready to take a shower and I just caught my profile (without my shirt) in the mirror as I was getting undressed and I realized I'd developed a bit of a gut. Surprised, I went and checked my weight. I was then about 210 pounds. Not really bad for my height (5' 11") but I'd gained more than 50 pounds without really realizing it. I'm now back down to about 190 because I've been watching my diet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
  20. diver200

diver200 Senior Member

I eat when i am stressed and when I am depressed. When I am depressed, i don't care enough about myself to take care of my weight. I have fought my weight my entire life, up and down. I am best when I am happy, and feel at least somewhat good about myself. Unfortunately, I've been major depressed for the last two and a half years. I'm trying to come out of it now, and am trying to be more careful about my diet and work out more. But for me, it is still like walking on a razors edge.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.