Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or OCD is just as prevalent in Hollywood

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by RonPrice, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonPrice

RonPrice Member

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or OCD is just as prevalent in Hollywood. Increasingly stars are admitting that they suffer from OCD. It is characterised by obsessive rituals and bizarre compulsions. From David Beckham's fridge fidgeting to Cameron Diaz's knob juggling, it certainly seems that in a world where you can't be too rich or too thin, you can be too obsessed. Other Hollywood sufferers include: Jessica Alba, Billy Bob Thornton, David Beckham, Alec Baldwin, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Leonardo Dicaprio, Paul Gascoigne, Jane Horrocks, Natalie Appleton, Fred Durst and Woody Allen.
    ------------------------
    The symptoms that affected my daily working capacity during my working life(1961-2005),and even now in my retirement, are fatigue, psychological weariness and lack of emotional control in the area of anger. A night of light sleeping, tossing and turning or what some call agitation insomnia tends to make me want to go back to bed during the day. After varying lengths of time in intellectual activity I also must go to bed. One can hardly complain, though, given that this fatigue, these experiences, psychological and/or physical weariness, are the lot of Everyman to some degree and in a myriad of different patterns. My story, my experience with sodium valproate, my lithium substitute, began more than three years ago in April of 2007. Effexor was introduced into the medication package in May 2007 to replace the luvox. Sodium valproate is a mood stabilizer & effexor an anti-depressant medication, but more on these drugs later in section 4 below. Effexor(venlafaxine) is also used to treat OCD. My OCD behaviour seems to have increased since going off the lithium. My 70,000 word statement, my account of bipolar disorder, deals only tangentially with the OCD behaviour in my life. Perhaps I will write more of this OCD activity later at this site if readers are interested.-Ron

2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

The most most acute cases of OCD in modern celebrities are with Billy Bob Thornton and Howie Mandel. Howie wrote a recent autobiography detailing his pathological fear of germs. In the celebrities above their OCD- like symptoms would probably not be diagnosed as true cases of OCD; the disorder is too debilitating.

Ron, I would like to hear about your OCD symptoms and treatment. Did you read "The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing" or "Brainlock"? Behavioral techniques have helped me but medication has not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.