occupational woes

Toastofbant

In the same vane as one of my previous threads: I hate the job I'm currently at. There is nothing available that's not fast food which I don't want to go back to, or stuff I'm not qualified for. HEB isn't hiring right now and I somehow failed the assessment to work at Walmart. My options look slim for a unskilled laborer like myself, especially since I live in a medium sized town)How do get out of this hell?

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
In the same vane as one of my previous threads: I hate the job I'm currently at. There is nothing available that's not fast food which I don't want to go back to, or stuff I'm not qualified for. HEB isn't hiring right now and I somehow failed the assessment to work at Walmart. My options look slim for a unskilled laborer like myself, especially since I live in a medium sized town)How do get out of this hell?
Hi there, have you been able to try to get some kind of training, or skills, in the past that may allow you to achieve a higher level of employment? And one in which, you may find yourself happier about, as an end result? If not, or it's been some time, perhaps now would be a good time to consider such an avenue? Otherwise, would moving being a potential option? I realize that this may not be possible, given the circumstances. . . though this would allow for a bigger pool of possibilties & opportunities, "job-seeking" wise. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Toastofbant

Hi there, have you been able to try to get some kind of training, or skills, in the past that may allow you to achieve a higher level of employment? And one in which, you may find yourself happier about, as an end result? If not, or it's been some time, perhaps now would be a good time to consider such an avenue? Otherwise, would moving being a potential option? I realize that this may not be possible, given the circumstances. . . though this would allow for a bigger pool of possibilties & opportunities, "job-seeking" wise. Whatever you decide, good luck!
No I really haven't. I've been going from entry level to entry level job. I have a college fund through my grandparents, however I doubt I could make good use of it. Also I can't really afford to take the time to be a full time student

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
No I really haven't. I've been going from entry level to entry level job. I have a college fund through my grandparents, however I doubt I could make good use of it. Also I can't really afford to take the time to be a full time student
Okay. . . Well, (since) I am in "The States," much of this may be 'directly,' irrelevant; but -- it might be a good time to consider, what it would take - from both a personal (time / energy / committment, etc.) sacrifice standpoint - as well as, a professional one: meaning, the particulars (or nuts & bolts; the details, in other words) of how to get this thing done. Usually, they've got some kind of guidance counselors, or people staffed at respective colleges, who are in a position to help non-traditional students such as yourself.

For instance, here in America, I believe it was that when I turned your age (23) that I became an independent (meaning my Parents could no longer claim me). And this led to getting a much better deal when it relates, or came to Financial Aid. If your Grandparents left you a "little help," it may be of good use of your resources investigating this matter a little further. You may find that you are able to defer your loans while in school for tuition. And then, who knows? Perhaps all or most of what you would need to come up with - is a part time "gig," (or 'job,') to help cover the rent. Which, if living on-campus would perhaps even be factored in to your room and board. But otherwise, if off, and living with room mates (something nearly every body does at this point): it can be made much more manageble than it first seems - until you've actually done so, or "it!"

Just thinking that if there is a way to pursue this path, and nothing in life worth anything is generally going to come easily, or without effort. Even if you consider the top people in their chosen professions, or fields, the one thing that they will tend to definitely have in common, is a work ethic and drive that is unsurpassed --or 'unmatched.' But I do think, that it might not be as impossible as you're thinking it would, or could be? Of course, I could be wrong and you are an expert, of your own life. So, I can only offer a best guess - type of speculative assumtion, or assessment from afar. ; )

The least you could perhaps do, is to reach out to an Admissions Counselor, and find out what the necessary steps would be for someone such as yourself, to apply and be accepted. There should be a list of: I don't have any idea anymore, it's been too long; but let's just for argument's sake, say there's 3 to 4 or 5 bulleted, or highlighted "things," for which you'd have to get done. You can then take a look at them, and see if there's anything that you don't understand. And if there, is (chances are there will be) then this is the point at which, or where you can reach back out to that very same person of contact, and follow up with anything that needs clarifying. There's a better than safe bet, that they'll then be able to explain things in such a fashion so as to help you to better understand just how realistic, a decision such as this, will be! : )

Take Care.

There may be some vocational assistance for people with disabilities that would be available to you.

If you can't get that, there may be some generally available government sponsored job services.

I hate the job I'm currently at
What do you hate about your current job? Is there something about it that you'd be able to fix? Would you be ok with doing the same thing, just in some other location working with different people?

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Oh, and I totally forgot about the tech school route? If I were starting over, or standing in your shoes, that may be what I'd wish to do, or pursue. Technical programs here, in the United States, can be achieved, or completed in as little as Two-Years (time). And that way, if you can find something you're interested in, then you'll hopefully have a job waiting for you, when you get through -- & are on the other end (of your degree / or, Graduation). :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00