Occupations

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by maranature, Jun 23, 2009.

?

Are you able to hold down a job/course of study etc?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2009.
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maranature

maranature Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm interested to know:

How many people on this forum are able to successfully hold down a job/course of study/ or anything that can be construed as full time employment whilst obviously suffering from debilitating feelings?

I for one know that I don't manage it and that at the moment I'm just surviving.

I guess I'll make it easy and make a poll of this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No,I cant :(

3. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I guess i would say yes - successfully. I have just finished a 2 year course at Sixth Form, and managed fairly well despite the crippling depression i often suffered with. Towards the end of the last year i got fairly sloppy, you could say, and stopped going in when i felt really bad, but i guess i completed my course and exams so i managed to do it fairly successfully.
    I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling and that these feelings are making it too hard for you to hold down a job or whatever it is you're wishing to do. Have you tried talking to someone about these feelings, to get help that could put you back on your feet?

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Everytime I commit to something it goes to shit. This job only took me back cuz I'm friends with the family and I can only take it because it's 2-3 days a week and I get to post on SF (I'm at work now). I'm fucked otherwise.

5. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

I have to go to school. There is no other option. Its either suicide or school, thats it.

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I teach full time and have 4 children, so it is like having 2 full time jobs. It isn't easy, but in order to take of them I have no other options.

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm supposed to be in college five days a week, but because of anxiety they've allowed me to do two days in a smaller group.
    I can't even manage twice a week sometimes... Pretty sure that answers your question.

8. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

I hold down my job. The works sucks. 12 hour shifts, hot, smelly place, work holidays. Like most people I hate my job. But I hate being unemployed a million times more. Life takes work. We have to work it.

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Dropped out of engineering 6 months ago. Looking for work, none too enthused :\

10. Nocturnal Ponderer

Nocturnal Ponderer Well-Known Member

Worked the last five years as a truck driver on nightshift. Too much alone time and it is now becoming soul destroying. 10 hours per night, in the dark, on one's own takes its toll. I'm starting a 4 year uni course studying psychology in September but I have my reservations because up until now my over avoidant personality has had the perfect job. How I'm going to interact at uni will be another matter as I hate being with people, and have a chronic tic in my neck which is fucking embarrassing.

11. helena

helena Staff Alumni

I am working 32+ hours a week, and I am a single mother of two.
    I love my work( and my kids).

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm an isolationist who suffers from socialphobia, augoiphobia, paranoia, and anxiety which leads to panic attacks.. I can't be around people because my mind gets a ll jumbled up and I look like an idiot when I can't reply to someone..

13. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I had to give up Uni because of everything.

I do work full time, although I did get demoted. It's difficult but my work is a good distraction for me & luckily my employers are good about my absences.

14. History

History Well-Known Member

and here I am presenting myself as belonging to the category of depressed people who take their lives because of being jobless with no hope. JOBLESS!.

15. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I started work again after christmas. It's done me a lot of good to get out and start doing things again rather than just sitting around dwelling upon the problems I have. Before that I spent 5 years doing bits of work here and there when I could manage to drag myself out of the house. Fortunately I get 13 weeks a year holiday which makes it bearable.

16. Constantbattle

Constantbattle New Member

I can hold down a job but it's not quite fulltime. I had to cut back my hours because I felt like jumping out the window everytime I was there. Even now I'm just enduring.

17. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I'm having so much therapy that that is almost like a full time job... but no, I can't work due to depression, anxiety and agoraphobia.

18. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I cant' work, or do school. I've tried. Best job I had was working for mental heath as a care-giver. I do care-giving pretty good, but I get burn-out easily. Also i have too many flash-backs and fugues. I get SSI for my PTSD/DID. Makes me feel rather very worthless.

19. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Wow, uh, this is sort of confusing. Someone asked me the other day, "guess you didn't quite like engineering as much as you thought you would?" But I did. I loved it. I don't understand now - but I do remember that 6 months ago I was looking on SHOP TIME in a class as a burden!

And I think I could work if I could get a damn job that doesn't depress me. That's the hard part.

20. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

I finished college almost 3 years ago only to figure out my degree doesn't mean shit. Had a job for a couple of years but I couldn't be happy with it and wasn't making enough money, didn't feel like I was going anywhere, etc. so I quit. Now I've been unemployed for 8 months and I really have no idea what I'm going to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.