Occupy Wall Street grows, goes global.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Does anybody see this as a breaking point, reaction to the tea party that took on a global meaning, or something that will pass?

(BTW been at the protest at wall street 1) cops are vicious for no reason 2) our Mayor Mike Bloomberg has helped the movement with his screw ups 3) at least in NY it is very peaceful)
  2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It's of course hard to say, but I think it could attract momentum. The coming of winter may, of all things, be a challenge, but most OWS protesters are anticipating that. I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll keep it coming, and the long they do so, the more people may have enough hope in it to get involved and keep the cycle going.

Kudos to you for taking part in it.
  3. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

They have started camping outside St Pauls Cathedral in London - Good luck to them..
  4. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

I'll be surprised if the scum of England don't see this as a chance to riot again.

Gotta love it here sometimes. :screwloose:
  5. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

Have peaceful protests ever worked?
  6. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Ghandi and King come to mind, but that was more social injustice, this is purely economical and political, intresting to see how it ends.
  7. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I believe that the longer it goes on, the probability of it becoming more violent will increase.
  8. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Scum of england according to whom? Seeing as you are from the UK i can only assume you have never seen the sheer amount of bullshit im seeing on a daily basis thanks to now the tories. Hell their the ones who caused this in the 80s with their capatilist globalisation. The middle and upper class are the ones who reaped these benefits, it was the working class who got fucked over through most of the 80's and 90's. They all got piled into council housing where, thanks to the thatcherites, they had no job prospects and were forced onto benefits. What hope did that generation have? Then came EU migration. Im a fully qualified electrician but because eastern europeans can work for less, the construction and engineering industries are also fucked.

So please, dont sit their and describe people of england scum when the people who are the scum are in fact the people who think its widely acceptable to label people as such, mainly the government, but also the brainless morons who follow them like sheep and believe every piece of rhetoric that emmanates from their arses.
  9. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Very possible especcialy in Europe, I would even argue that it should be an option that should be kept on the table giving the circumstances. But at the end of the day I don't think the American culture is built for a violent uprising or even sustained violence. Most riots are usually sports related, the rest were anger that people got out of there system, almost never has it been political. Truth is it's not in our culture to go for the sword like it might be in Europe when the state fails, and besides these protesters are peaceful and aren't going to hurt anyone unless provoked and even then they might not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.