OCD; anyone else here with OCD?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Uulanda, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uulanda

Uulanda Active Member

Anyone else here have OCD? I've had it since I was born and is one of the reasons I am so depressed nigh on all the time.

Alo, if you want information about OCD or just to talk about it in whatever form, feel free to send me a message. I've learnt enough about it from my own experiences, scientific journals and several people I know for one lifetime!

Take care.

2. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Hey what kind of form of OCD do you have? Do you have rituals?

3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I haven't been diagnosed with it but I have a few OCD tendencies.

4. Sapphire

Like what?

5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Like the fact that I NEED to put lotion on my hands at least 20 times a day. And when I'm eating anything small and multi-colored (M&Ms for example) I have to count how many I have of each color when I grab a handful. I then even out the colors and eat one of each color until they are gone. Its other minor stuff too like when I walk past certain things at work I have to reach out and touch them as I walk past.

6. Sapphire

That isn't having tendencies. That is having OCD. Have talks with psychologists helped in any way? Assuming you've spoken to one or two?

7. Uulanda

Uulanda Active Member

I would agree with Sapphire there. You should look at your options available to you in your area. I used to think "It'll get better one day" but it doesn't without some help.

Heres hoping it works out for you, and good luck!

EDIT: Also, to answer your question Sapphire, I do have rituals, a LOT of them, but the obsessions are worse by far :( Do you suffer from OCD as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  8. Sapphire

That sounds tough, Uulanda. I had OCD in the past but I managed to get rid of it. I had it bad. To the point that I couldn't work. So I know what you're going through.

9. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have a pretty crippling case of it. I wipe virtually everything I aquire from groceries to mail to a pair of running shoes with rubbing alcohol or anti- bacterial wipes. I often have to remove the batteries from a radio or a flashlight to test how much power is left in them. I need symmetry-I have to line items up just so before I can walk away from them.

I am an avid bicyclist but my bicycle has to have fenders on it and when I ride over a patch of sand/dirt on the street I have to stop and wipe down the rear cogs/front chainrings and often adjust the f+r derailleurs, suspension fork, hub dust seals etc.. I can rarely ride trails (dirt) anymore or ride in the rain or on wet streets because of how much grit and road filth gets thrown onto the bicycle. There are too many other obsessions and compulsions I am tormented with to write here.

OCD is a living nightmare and it takes tremendous energy to deal with daily.

10. arteb

arteb Member

I have it. And I find it very difficult to live with too. It manifested like 10 years ago. It just makes life absolutely unbearable, excruciating, painful and not worth living. I hate it. I absolutely hate it. It has destroyed me. It has made me feel dead inside since I got it.

11. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I don't think I have it, but I do have some tendencies myself. Recently (around a month or so now) I've become extremely obsessed with the cleanliness of my hands. I can't do anything if I feel my hands are dirty (even if they aren't) so I scrub them clean around five or six times a day. I can't touch anything remotely dirty, or anything my older brother has touched, without first wiping it down or putting some gloves or a tea towel over my hands. I have to check all the windows and doors at night and make sure there isn't anyone outside my door or watching me from outside through the windows every night or else I can't sleep (more paranoia, maybe?). One of the problems I've suffered with a lot throughout my childhood was having to count to a certain number before I could sleep. I'd lay there and get the idea in my head that I should count to thirty, or blink my eyes thirty times, or wave my hand in front of my face (weird, I know) thirty (or however many times) before I could sleep. Once I did that, I'd get it into my head I should do it again, so I'd have to do it. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to sleep. I always count the number of steps there are when I go up/down a set of stairs without even thinking; my head just immediately starts counting them. I like things to be set out a certain way and look neat and presentable (such as a thread or my typing or a desk or piece of work) or else I can't even bear to look at it. Causes serious problems when I have to share a room with my mum who is extremely messy. I can't stand using cutlery or dishes that someone else has washed up any more; recently (as of a few months ago) I've become a little crazy about hygiene and I have to check every knife, fork, plate, cup, that anyone else has washed up before I use it. So now I just tend to only use the stuff that I know I've washed up, 'cause then I know it's clean.

I think that's all, maybe. I can't say any of the above have ever made me depressed though, so I'm figuring either I cope with it well or I just don't have it. I'm not sure.

12. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

I have it,its effect all my life & im so depressed cos of it,i wish die everyday,i wash my hand alot & scared of contamination :cry:

13. Uulanda

Uulanda Active Member

Well as much as we all hate it, at least its something we can talk together about.

I have constant (literally every second) thoughts of dying, of killing, and a lot more. It seriously doesn't stop. I can't do things unless they are perfect, like opening a door, walking or even breathing sometimes. If I don't get it right it's almost impossible to do it.

14. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

One of the things I have been diagnosed with is OCD. I count things, have to have all my cans lined up a certian way. I also clean. Oh and things have to be in odd numbers. It is not fun. The docotor also told my I have thought OCD, where I get an image or thought in my head (often not nice) and it replays all the time.

15. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Yes, I do. But it's a lot better than it used to be.

16. chrs75

chrs75 Well-Known Member

i've got ocd, not sure if it brought on the depression or they just started at the similar times, it affects me in similar ways to those already mentioned, one of the most difficult parts of it (for me anyway) is trying to hide it from others,

what do you guys usually say when people ask why your doing what your doing (washing counting etc)

17. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

yes, I'm not into touching door handles like 300 X.....not that kind of OCD.

The acronym itself makes me FREAK OUT!

18. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Mine mostly consisted of checking things over and over and counting. I needed to do certain things a certain number of times or repeating until it felt "right."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.