ocd is driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ideas_in_my_head, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello

i've suffered from ocd for as long as i can remember. bout 20 years. i have really had enough. i hate life and often wonder why i'm here. what did i do so wrong that i have to be punished in this way.

everything is counted in eight

takes me forever to leave the house - constantly checking things

i very poor concentration because i'm to wrapped up in ocd land :blink:

just thought i'd say afew words as i'm new here.

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i can't understand how anyone is happy living

2. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

that must be incredibly frustrating, have you perhaps tried to obsessivly reduce it? as in become obsessive about counting 7 times, and gradually reducing it to 1? just an idea, wonder if it could work?

btw :welcome:

3. have tried so hard in the past i almost won but depression kicks in and i'm back to square 1. doctors don't seem to help. not got a clue. but i have heard of doing that but you know it's scary. my anxiety through the roof. i really want to be normal

:thanks:i thanks for your reply. nice to talk

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I have to wake up on the 8's or it throws my whole day off. I feel for you man, it sucks everyday having to deal with it but you will get through it, maybe not now or in a week but keep working on it little by little and it will improve.

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I count everything in 10's :), but I try to keep it in the back of my mind if possible. I hear Zoloft can help with OCD. Also, sometimes you just have to break the habit. Maybe make a checklist of the things you do before you leave the house and print it out. Only do everything once, but once you have done it (checked the stove, locked the door, etc.) check it off your list and force yourself to walk away. I know that stupid feeling that something dreadful will happen if you don't do A,B,C, but in my experience, if you force yourself to stop acting on these compulsions, the thoughts will eventually either go away or become much less frequent. Hang in there.

6. i do everything in eight chew, swallow, breathe, count steps, EVERYTHING

and for sum reason i hate the number 13 26 39 52 i'm anxiuos just typing them but if i wake up at 13 mins past i close my eyes and wake up again. it's no wonder i'm ill. depressed. miserable

anyway tell me about yourself anybody. it's nice i'm not alone

:anyone: :pcwhack:

7. ps everyone is sooooo nice here :biggrin:

8. I count everything in 5's.
    I don't know why.
    I check doors five times, check the fridge five times, I check with my eyes, going back on fourth on certain objects five times, etc etc.
    :( Really annoying.
    Sometimes it's in different numbers, but it has to FEEL just right, you know?

So, I really do feel whatcha going through.

9. hi Sycotic_Sarah

i know what you mean about not feeling right. sometimes i get what i called "stuck". where i get so lost with where i'm up to i can't move. thats the most annoying. i check the door that many time once i broke the handle :laugh: it wasn't funny at the time

10. lol
    ive done something similar.
    a door broke off its hinges before because i was so angry at this like voice telling me to keep opening and closing it, got so angry, it pulled off one of the nails, and i was in SO much trouble for it :(

11. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

so glad i dont have ocd, imagine trying to count when you get distracted easily, i would lose track of where i was and have to start again then id probably have to re-start so many times just coz i started a new pattern, aaagh. sorry, i feel for you all, my boyfriend drives me NUTS w/ his constant hand washing but i cant seem to help him out of that!

12. hello

yeah i used to get into trouble a lot. but never told anyone about my ocd so they never new. was very good at hiding it. people would tell me of for being late. i'd come up with some rubbish explanation. it was hard lying everyday to protect myself. i don't have to do that now. i finally told someone a few years ago and its been ok. i was frightened of being lock up for being nutty :unsure:

but here i am. :biggrin:

13. washing my hands is a nightmare. because i work in a kitchen. its twice as bad. my hands get sooo sore and cracked its untrue. i managed to stop for a while when i was off sick but it came back as soon as i went into the kitchen. i love my job though so i put up with it.

i was trying to think of a helpful way in which he could stop but to break this habbit is so hard. the person has really got to fight the compulsion to wash.

i am an all or nothing person.

i can stop drinking, smoking instantly, but i cannot get rid of this dam ocd. its so annoying

14. blueburn

blueburn Member

my friend has ocd for a few years when he was at school he would constantly say sorry sorry do u accept my appologies over and over again or touch a chair loads of times or his pencil case but after weeks of having a therapist lady come visit him and he eventually stopped.

15. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

Yeah its something where you always feel like you've had enough isnt it. jesus christ i really dont want to have another -x- years with it, and i admire you for dealing with it for twice as long as me lol.

16. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

I have the same thing with the numbers.
    It's odd numbers in generals, but especially three.
    I HATE even numbers.. I can't stand them I need odd numbers, i just can't deal with even ones. :unsure:

and like you said sarah i'm the same way, with like if something is off and bothering me i absolutely need to fix it or it will just drive me absolutely insane. :unsure::dry::sad:

17. crashing-down

crashing-down Member

Mel X, I just read about your need for odd numbers and it went through me! Even as a child I had to have the t.v, stereo, car radio and objects set at even numbers, I have to change thinks when I visit peoples houses. Isnt it strange how we think this way..I know that its stupid, but I just cant take the chance because I am convnced i will cause something bad to happen if I am in contact with odd numbers. Also, I have to eat food in certain orders, I always eat Skittles Red-orange-yellow-green-purple, and i couldnt risk eating them another way for all the money in the world!

Its crazy, why has this append to us???

18. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

I wore my watch out because I had to clip the left side eight times, then the right side eight times, then the right side eight times again, and then close it off with eight more on the left side. Since I was a kid, I had all these unwanted thoughts that wouldn't go away and I couldn't filter them out. I'd count dice in my head, touch everything in duplicate places on the other side of my body to make it even, erase and erase and erase until I was crazy, repeat prayers with the inability to stop, step on a shadow with both feet (one at a time) in the same place on my foot and alternate which step came first, count the number of words in sentences and add words to them until it came out in a ten or five (preferably ten) to make it whole. The number eight only really went with my watch thing. I need ten to make things feel whole. I was a lot worse than I was younger, but sometimes I still get caught in these loops and I understand how maddening it can be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.