Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Crom Cruach, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crom Cruach

Crom Cruach Active Member

Ever since I was young I've done this thing where I count the numbers of letters in words and sentences and keep adding and adding until I get to 105 or 108, then start over again, I told one of the doctors about it one time and she said it sounded a bit like OCD. I didn't agree because I thought it was just a habit, and it doesn't bother me or have any adverse effects, unless someone is having a conversation with me, sometimes I'll be counting everything they say and drift off. Lately though I've found that some things are starting to wind me up and get me even more stressed. In the last 6 -8 weeks I find myself getting really worked up if things aren't organised properly, DVD's and CD's have to be in the right cases, arranged neatly, I can't stand seeing even one knife, fork, spoon, plate, mug etc. in the sink or left on the table. Even at work, I work in a factory and we recycle nearly everything, I've started getting overly concerned that everything is done properly to the point of going through my waste bins when I start my shift and going round the facotry floor picking up little bits of rubbish, and when I bend down to pick one tiny bit up I see another, and another and another and so on. It's not just wanting to be tidy either, I find it really hard to go and do something unless stuff is in what I consider to be it's right place. I'm diagnosed as depressed and I have very severe anxiety, so I don't know if it's the stress making me like this or what. Do you think it's worth meantioning to my doctor at my next appointment?
  2. Adeline

Adeline Well-Known Member

Hi Crom Cruach,

I suffer from OCD and it certainly sounds like you may be suffering from it to some degree. You should get a professional opinion on it. I would advise you to definitely mention it to your doctor. I know from experience that stress can worsen OCD. Hopefully, your doctor will be able to help you out. Hope all is well otherwise. If you need any help, just ask me. I know what it is like to have OCD and severe anxiety. Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.