October healthy lifestyle and weight loss/exercise challenge...

Sassy Cat

SF hugger
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thats great. Your hdl is pretty high, have you been exercising?
Thanks Yes I workout a lot which is why it’s hard that I am not losing any weight but we all need to remember that sometimes we don’t lose when we are gaining muscles. Think of it as replacing fat with muscles (now I just need to avoid sweets also)

The number I am most proud of is my triglycerides being over 200 in 2011 and now at 51 I couldn’t be happier with that number that and I only skipped alcohol the day before not days or a week like I have in the past.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
Doing not so bad at eating healthy although someone gave me homemade salsa from their grandmother's recipe so will munch my way through tortilla chips alas as it is just soooooo good...sigh...no weight loss alas...and they aren't going to heat pool over winter so have to come up with new exercise plan :(....

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Doing not so bad at eating healthy although someone gave me homemade salsa from their grandmother's recipe so will munch my way through tortilla chips alas as it is just soooooo good...sigh...no weight loss alas...and they aren't going to heat pool over winter so have to come up with new exercise plan :(....
I love a good salsa but it does usually involve eating unhealthy stuff with it :( But I do love savoury snacks like tortilla chips and potato chips so it's better to have them with salsa than sour cream!

Sorry to hear that the pool won't be heated in winter :( It sucks that you'll have to find another way to exercise - I know how you've enjoyed the swimming.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I love a good salsa but it does usually involve eating unhealthy stuff with it :( But I do love savoury snacks like tortilla chips and potato chips so it's better to have them with salsa than sour cream!

Sorry to hear that the pool won't be heated in winter :( It sucks that you'll have to find another way to exercise - I know how you've enjoyed the swimming.
Thanks for alleviating my guilt for eating the salsa and chips :)... yes not sure what exercise can do but maybe get on the bicycle and go for a ride in the mornings..not as enjoyable but would be something I guess....now to get motivated...the real hard part...

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi everyone. Sorry I've been absent for a few days. I hour everyone is OK.

@Petal I'm sorry you're struggling to maintain the good habits. Maybe focusing on the reasons for eating healthily (not wanting to have a heart attack etc) might help rather than focusing on the goal of simply wanting to lose weight. I've been much more motivated since I decided I need to get into that dress than I was when I just had the goal of losing weight. You say that you keep setting yourself up for failure - what do you mean and what do you think you might be able to do to stop that self sabotage?
Thank you for your helpful reply. I noticed your absence, I hope you are doing well, welcome back. I agree, if I focus on not wanting a heart attack or stroke I might eat better and exercise better.

When I say I'm setting myself up for failure I mean trying the same plan and expecting different results, Einstein's theory is that its insane to do the same thing and expect different results.

I'm just kind of stuck on how I can progress. Tomorrow - Dec 31, is 11 weeks to the new year, i want to start tomorrow in making a change to my exercise and eating habits and end the year on a good note to start the new year on a good note.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sassy Cat

SF hugger
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thank you for your helpful reply. I noticed your absence, I hope you are doing well, welcome back. I agree, if I focus on not wanting a heart attack or stroke I might eat better and exercise better.

When I say I'm setting myself up for failure I mean trying the same plan and expecting different results, Einstein's theory is that its insane to do the same thing and expect different results.

I'm just kind of stuck on how I can progress. Tomorrow - Dec 31, is 11 weeks to the new year, i want to start tomorrow in making a change to my exercise and eating habits and end the year on a good note to start the new year on a good note.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I know you are not into weights but try some 3 or 5 pound weights you don’t have to have anything heavy to have results especially at the beginning

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
So, it's pretty much half way through the month so I thought I'd review how I'm going with my goals. At the start of the month I said I wanted to:
* lose 5 pounds- I've lost 3 so far :)
* eat healthily, with at least 3 portions of fruit /veg a day- I've done pretty well with this. I've had some treats, but that's OK as most days I've eaten well and I've managed to have at least 3 portions of fruit /veg pretty much every day.
* continue to cut down on carbs, especially bread- I've done well with this. I've really cut down and have only had bread about twice a week.
* go for a walk of at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week - I managed it the first week but only got in one 30 minute walk this week.
* try to walk at least 8000 steps every day- I managed it most days, but have had quite a few lazy days
* do some toning exercises at least 3 times a week - I haven't done well with this at all and have only managed once this month
* drink more water and green tea- I've done really well with this one, which I'm really pleased about.
* have at least 4 alcohol free days a week- I've actually managed to do this, which I'm quite proud of :)

So, I've done well with the healthy eating and drinking, but need to do better with the exercise during the second half of the month.

Lightsout

Thanks Yes I workout a lot which is why it’s hard that I am not losing any weight but we all need to remember that sometimes we don’t lose when we are gaining muscles. Think of it as replacing fat with muscles (now I just need to avoid sweets also)

The number I am most proud of is my triglycerides being over 200 in 2011 and now at 51 I couldn’t be happier with that number that and I only skipped alcohol the day before not days or a week like I have in the past.
Yes your stats are quite amazing. My hdl and trig level is about the same as yours, but your ldl and total cholesterol is under the borderline limit. Mine is still over by a quarter mile.

You must’ve felt pretty good. Well done.. hopefully i can do the same later too :D

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Today I managed to go for an hour bike ride even tho I really had no motivation to excercise at all! And I didn’t snack ALL DAY!!! Even tho that’s all I wanted to do because I was starving:) DAY 3 DIET COMPLETE and i have to say I am pretty proud:p I hope this pays off
Well done you, that's absolutely brilliant. Keep up the good work :)

Hi so today I am sad BUT I SHOULDNT BE. So I woke up this morning before classes and went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for an hour, then did arm weights for an hour. I ate 2 eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon. 1/2 oatmeal, spoonful almonds and a drizzle of honey. 1 cup of strawberries, 1 slice of pumpkin bread (homemade), and a crockpot chicken I made.

The reason I am sad is because I had separated these dinners out into Tupperware of what I though was a good dinner serving size. Well tonight I was super hungry and decided to eat both containers (which ended up being a bowl FULL of chicken). Now I feel full but not too full. But I feel guilty I ate both meals and feels like I ate over more than I should. Thing is I calculated how many calories I probably ate today and that’s probably about 1500, AKA not a whole lot. So why do I feel so guilty. And why do I restrict myself so much. UGHHH.

I should be happy because I lost 2 pounds since the last time I weighed myself. But now I feel like I gained weight from eating that extra helping of food.

Also I will be seeing a counselor starting Thursday because I know I have a big struggle with food/body image.

Lightsout

I got sick(flu)since 4 days ago. I don’t know whether it has anything to do with my weight loss, but i have been eating less and less, and still twice exercise per week. I also feel more fatigue now from the exercise.

My goal is to heal myself from this, and to eat more. I have to put aside my target weight for this week.

I have been doing pretty well (lost 10 pounds since april 2018),

hope i can keep going when i healed :D

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
So it's exactly 10 weeks to Christmas, I need to get back on the wagon. I am going to try and lose 20lbs in those 10 weeks. I'm afraid to weigh myself and the weighing scales can really annoy me so, no scales. I've probably put on 14 lbs since I stopped my diet so I hope to just break even by Christmas and start afresh in the new year, here are my goals;

Do not buy anything with sugar.
Walk at least 8,000 steps a day.
Eat 3 or more fruit/veg every day.
Meditate daily.
Drink more water.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Got an odd question.

Anyone really get extreme gas when eating mushrooms? Yeah those regular fresh mushrooms on salads?

Lightsout

So it's exactly 10 weeks to Christmas, I need to get back on the wagon. I am going to try and lose 20lbs in those 10 weeks. I'm afraid to weigh myself and the weighing scales can really annoy me so, no scales. I've probably put on 14 lbs since I stopped my diet so I hope to just break even by Christmas and start afresh in the new year, here are my goals;

Do not but anything with sugar.
Walk at least 8,000 steps a day.
Eat 3 or more fruit/veg every day.
Meditate daily.
Drink more water.
Do you have any reason why it has to be by christmas though? Losing 20lbs in 10 weeks sounds tough. But if you have reached it before dont mind me.

Because i’m a turtle who lost only 10 lbs in 6 months. Barely :D

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Do you have any reason why it has to be by christmas though? Losing 20lbs in 10 weeks sounds tough. But if you have reached it before dont mind me.

Because i’m a turtle who lost only 10 lbs in 6 months. Barely :D
Hi there, no real reason as to why it has to be by Christmas, I just feel it would be a nice gift to myself. It wouldn't be that hard for me to lose 20lbs in 10 weeks as i'm pretty heavy. Thanks for your reply =) And yes I have reached the same goal and target before.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00