Octomom, Nadya Suleman...14 kids?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I apologize if this has been discussed but I don't remember seeing it in the last 2 months.

This woman already had 6 children, now ages 2-7, and through 'assisted reproductive technology' gave birth to octuplets. All survived and I believe are with her now and she cares for all 14 children.

She is unemployed, with one of the children autistic, and today or yesterday one child went to school with a black eye and bite marks on his back prompting another visit from social services.

My question, mostly to women who would have better judgement than I, would be: Is there a point where this becomes irresponsible?

Info on this interesting situation is clearly explained on Wikipedia under "Octomom" or "Nadya Suleman".

2. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Having any children when unemployed is irresponsible.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

How could she possibly afford to work with 14 kids?! She wouldn't have enough money earned to even pay someone to look after all those kids.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The original post didn't clarify a couple of important points:

She did not have a partner when she conceived any of her children, and still does not.
    She did not have a job when she conceived any of her children, and still does not.
    She was being supported by her parents, sort of, but they are overwhelmed, bankrupt, and view most of this as a very bad decision.

In light of this, this is pretty much the worst idea I have ever heard.

5. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Then maybe she shouldn't have so many fucking kids?
    That said, anyone that undergoes fertility treatment with that many kids and no means of support is either retarded or mentally ill.

6. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Eventually something's going to go way wrong here.. that's for sure.

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It already has. Her parents, who were supporting her, have filed for bankruptcy, and there are 14 kids to feed. There's no money or time where an awful lot is needed.

8. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Somebody should've shoved a bug bomb in her womb.

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I'm not a woman but this is already way past the point where it's irresponsible. A woman in her situation should have the plain old common sense not to even have one child. Sure. Very poor women used to have children but that was when most people were poor and there weren't so many people so the population had room to expand. With 6 billion people on the planet, this is completely unnecessary.

It makes me so mad to think about this. This particular woman might eventually do OK. Maybe she'll get a bunch of money for a book or something but under ordinary circumstances, the outlook would probably be pretty bleak for most of the kids (if not all of them). It's just stupid.

Edit - I saw an interview with her one day and while she actually did seem reasonably intelligent in some ways, it was very clear that her mind was fucked up somehow just by some of the things she said that were completely delusional. She's not stupid. She's just crazy or something. This kind of thing is a big problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.