OD question

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by LostSpirit, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostSpirit

LostSpirit Well-Known Member

if you have ever OD and survived. what do they actually do in the hospital. some of the posts i read. it sounds like they dont really give a hoot. and just dis charge you if they think your ok,
  2. perfectempire

perfectempire Active Member

I OD'd and was so close...but then I had a seizure and my family heard the thrashing and came running into my room. I don't remember it of course.

When I woke up about a week later they transferred me from ICU to a regular room.

When I had the strength and coordination to walk on my own again they sent me home but said I had to make at least one appointment with a psychiatrist. Then I went to a few cognitive rehab appointments to get my brain working again. That was it.

That's what happens if you are actually harmed. I'm not sure what happens if you walk in alone and ask for help. :confused:
  3. wunderwood

wunderwood Well-Known Member

it depends. I can't speak from person experience, but I have spent much time in the er and icu as a nursing student. They tend to test your drugs level and your liver functioning. The er is a fan of doing a charcoal lavage.

I think that the er is a cold place overall, but most times they end up sending you to psych if you are medically stable.
  4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I ODed and I'm pretty sure if they know it is a OD they will do some generic things to try and counteract any common toxins. That's speculation on my part.

I do know that I woke up in a hospital room on suicide watch, and was soon transferred to the mental ward when I was deemed physically healthy.
  5. alle_vite

alle_vite Well-Known Member

The few times i have od'd, i have had my stomach pumped a couple of times and i have also been given an injection to counteract everything i swallowed but they only act once they have your blood reuslts to see how high the toxic levels are obviously unless ur unconcious!!Out of the 8 times i have been released on all occasions but on one occasion the next day i got picked up and sectioned!!
  6. crackedglass

crackedglass Well-Known Member

hey erm well on one attempt i got put on drips and had injections to counter the drugs i had taken and i had to stay in for about 3 days i think it was and then on the 4th i had to wait to see a psych and see her, and i sat there and told her i wasnt sorry and i WOULD do it again and i dont regret anything and she let me go home :laugh:

on the second occasion i dont remember because i was unconcious for 2 days then when i woke up, i had drips in me again and spewed everywhere..then the doctor came round and said he is letting me go home (much to my mums dissapointment) because i would recover the same in hospital as i would at home..despite my 'abnormal' blood tests :unsure: they did ring the psychs again but this time they couldnt be bothered with me..

on other attempts just in and out of hospital really, all they do is check ya bloods and that ya can stand..and ring the psych but they psychs here pretty much dont care..but been attempt free for 2 n a bit months so far :eek:hmy::smile:

everyones experiences will be different though, i think it depends on the location and the funds the psychs have i suppose..at least i know one thing..that im beyond the psychs help..im a lost cause haha! :tongue::biggrin:
  7. LostSpirit

^^ im not to far from essex! that is terrible. that they either treat you like your a loon, or they dont really give a shit anyway.. and they wonder why people do it over and over again,, do people have to actually die, befor they care, buts its to late when someone's gone, and all they say is. oh well maybe we should have done more

thanks for sharing your experiences
  8. crackedglass

oooo where you near then hun?
    i wasn't living in essex when i od'd i been back in essex since the end of september and ive been attempt free since..well at the mo anyway..x
  9. LostSpirit

im in gravesend, so other side of the water
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  10. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

What they do in hospital obviously depends on how much you've taken and the timeframe they have to work with, as there's no point in pumping someone's stomach if the drugs have already had a considerable length of time to assimilate into their system. Otherwise they take blood tests, urine samples, and usually keep you in overnight. As for after discharge, my experience was going to see a social worker who then organised for me to go to a children's psychotherapist once, when I lied about the reasons behind my attempt, and I never had to see them again. I doubt that I would have been admitted to a psychiatric hospital as I was so young, though I was a patient in one by the time I was 17. It seems social care seems to differ from place to place really, so I could not say what kind of after-care all OD patients receive.

It is not pleasant, nor is it a good way of 'crying for help' so to speak. Get help before you are driven to doing something like this.

All the best.
  11. LostSpirit

iv just got back from hospital after being there for 7 hours, will update tomoz, i need sleep
  12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Oh my God I couldn't help but laughing out loud... and I'm at work.
    Not at your experience of course, but of the insane way that they treat people who need help.
    That you WOULD do it again and she sent you home? What a fucking idiot! How do these people get into this job?!?!?!?!?!?! What the hell is going on in the universe? It's so backwards. What cold-hearted fucks.

8 times? I am guessing you really want out. I am glad you put a laugh face there. Even in times of despair it's good to have a sense of humor. And once we've stopped caring about living, humor comes into play a lot more often I think :).

But 8 times? I'm wondering if there was a part of you that did want to live?

They don't have long-term stays? There is this guy Scott I am in a group therapy thing with right now that stayed at Silver Hills hospital for 60 days because of an overdose. Makes me want to try so I can get that kind of care.

So many people here crying out for help and getting rejected. Fuck the system! I am so sorry that all that has happened to you. PM me if you ever need a friend :pm: :heart: :hug:
  13. jam1e

jam1e Guest

They haven't got the resources or staff to treat people as it is. They see "us" as a pain in the arse!!:mad:
  14. crackedglass

yeah i know they pretty much suck..
    it shows how much they listen or care, because i told her i WOULD try it again and i did so kinda they really dont listen. Erm maybe because they cant get any they just let any old tom do it lol? :laugh: Alot of people are cold hearted now though, so its just the way the world works.

yup i still do want out but ive been told the next time i do it i WILL be sectioned (as i havent been yet) and i aint gonna try again until i come up with a way that will work..and i have quite a good plan at the moment..yeah i seem to find the oddest and most strangest stuff funny..people at work think im loony and horrible..but i dont care anymore.

Admittedly the first time i did wanna live just not without certain people then since then i really dont wanna live..well there was just one reason for living and its kinda gone, but been gone ages and im still here :dry:

lol long term is a few days..maybe stretching up to a weekish but you stay on a normal medical ward with the nurses giving you horrible evil looks, literally ripping ya arm off when they grab it for bp checks..and then when you refuse to eat they threaten to put more drips up..sometimes when im in the right mood and i do occasionally care i do wish that just once one of the people would care and yeah a long term stay probably would help me even though im scared to admit it and scared of what they'll find. But never been given that chance and never will.

Its not your fault it happened, i was the one who has attempted..its just life that makes me attempt..the mental health system say they understand people but they dont..i mean one instance is you can get your sleeping pills in one part of the country and in another they refuse to give them to you. All because of funding and morals and then they wonder why im so irratic? Thanks hun really means a lot :hug: :cuddle:
  15. crackedglass

oh and gravesend is a ferry ride away lol :tongue:
    cant believe theres someone on here lives so close hehe! :cool:
    hope your ok hun? x
  16. meliisa

meliisa Member

They were really friendly at the childrens hospital I was addmitted to on several occasions. Seemed to really care about my health
  17. I've had to drink this black charcoal stuff ew! Makes you sick but I guess that's it's purpose... it soaks up all the pills too, I've also had my stomach pumped which isn't the best of things either, I suggest you don't do it.
  18. ANeverEndingRose

ANeverEndingRose Well-Known Member

ODing is really not a good thing to do. For soo many reasons.

What they do in hospital really depends on what you have taken, how much of it, and where you live (for example its really different in the states compared to the uk).

Here in the UK a lot of drugs have specific antidotes which they will give you through an IV drip if you arrive within a certain amount of time from taking the OD. For example, with paracetamol there is a 24 hour time limit where the antidote will have an effect.

For things that don't have a specific antidote they may take general bloods, do an ECG, get the psychs to check you over and then discharge you. For a lot of ODs I have been in A+E for 2hours max and then go home. But then others (not because of a drug OD mind you) I have been in ITU for weeks.

But generally, they give you the treatment, once your bloods are normal you have to have a psychiatric assessment, and if they aggree you are fit to go home, you are discharged.
  19. crackedglass

i had abnormal bloods and they still sent me home!! :blink:

but then again im abnormal anyway :tongue:
  20. ANeverEndingRose

ANeverEndingRose Well-Known Member

Thats fairly common. Your bloods can be abnormal in some way but still not need treatment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.