OD Survivors

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Fev1, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fev1

Fev1 New Member

I survived a <mod edit - methods> OD in August. I managed to talk my way out of permanent psychiatric care, and extricated myself from community care after 96 hours.
    Since then I have felt particularly isolated because I cant find anybody who can properly empathise on a level I want them to.
    In short, half my mind is repulsed by the event and doesn't want to repeat it. The other half wants me to get it right next time. Im in a social and work limbo. I plan for things I don't care about, and don't plan for things I do.

As my triggers are returning and<mod edit - methods>, I would really like to strike up a conversation, with somebody for whom these feelings resonate.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you suffered in August but have joined a support network where people do understand your feelings. Please take one day at a time for the recovery process. Yes, the recovery process is hard but do not be hard on yourself. If you want to talk in private, please PM me and I will try to help you as much as I can. You are not alone. Please read the posts here and that will you comfort in seeing others who also suffer survive to this day.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

To be honest I honestly find it worrisome that people are able to get out of psych wards so easily. I have done it myself....pretended I was not depressed etc... here they will usually allow you out if you're not in there for reasons to do with suicide. It's frightening how easily they will let you out. Now the reason I say this is because maybe you should have stayed and took their help and advice and maybe it would be a good idea to go back in, I know it can be a very dull experience, but they are trained and can teach you how to deal with these thoughts without harming yourself. I am sorry you felt so bad that you attempted, but please trust me seeking their help and advice is the right way forward. Best of luck and we are always here for you. Also, welcome to the forums! You will meet a lot of people here who are going through or will go through what you're experiencing.
  4. nararabbit

nararabbit Active Member

Fev1 may have had the same experience I did - the nurses and doctor were not the least bit helpful. They just asked me the same rote questions each day, didn't seem to take any interest, wrote a scrip and I was out of there, onto the next patient. There was no interest in helping me manage my disease in the longterm or develop any skills to deal with the same triggers that would be waiting for me on the outside. Other than literally keeping me alive, it didn't help me at all.
  5. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

I would do anything to stay out of acute inpatient care in my area. Dull would have been a welcome relief from what felt like a scary, unpredictable and hellish place. I told my Drs not to bother sectioning me as I will just wait it out and they can't lock me up forever. I am also very convincing and know what I need to say to avoid hospital. I haven' t talked about my attempts which have escalated recently, other than explaining when and how with the Crisis Team. Feel very fragile and can't really believe how easy it would be now that I know how. This is information that I will not share here btw. It's not normal to wish you were dead is it? It's not normal to wake up disappointed that you have another day to get through? To make silly pacts with yourself: 'if the next person smiles at me.....; if the traffic lights change to green......'
    I'm scared. Honestly. But just want to go to sleep.....
  6. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Being honest can be one of the best thing one can do for self in terms of getting help. Being dishonest to avoid hospital is normal and understandable though
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.