odd Q. how do you know people like you?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by jasonkramer, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonkramer

jasonkramer Well-Known Member

i want to know what other people consider signs of being liked. i desire a better understand of how to read people. often times i will interact with someone and i get the vibe that they dont really want me around. sort of like they are interacting with me as a form of charity almost. i am sure my misinterpreting stems greatly from the fact i dont like my self but how am i suppose to know when its them or me. often times i will hear a slight tone in their voice that could suggest they dont really mean what they are saying.

i was once told that in order to be loved i first must love my self. my reply was that i will never be loved then.

human interaction is very confusing. what are your thoughts?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is hard because with mental illness sometimes we hear things or see things we think are there but are not. All you can be is yourself and hope they can accept you for you and if they can't then they are not worth knowing hugs
  3. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I feel the same a lot of the time; feeling as though people are only talking to me out of pity, but I also know that it could just be me making something out of nothing. I don't really know how to help you, just that you'll never know for sure unless you either ask the person straight out or get help to fully overcome your issues through something like therapy.
  4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

It is SO hard to be in a friendship when there is so much worry and insecurity in your thoughts. A true friend will want your company, will call you unexpectedly even when you're feeling too troubled to be likable. I somehow have longtime friends despite being one of the most neurotic people on the planet.

Reading a person becomes much easier if you can grow comfortable in their presence and automatic when you become familiar with their unique traits.
  5. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

Hi Jasonkramer

Hugs to you as I know the feeling and wonder all the time too...
    I don't know if there is anyway to know in the beginning... so for me I judge by their sticking power... the longer they stick by you... then you gotta admit to yourself eventually that if they didn't genuinely care then they wouldn't still be in your life.

I read somewhere once that their are loads of different people in our lives... people that come and go, people that are in our lives for a period/season like work or school and then people who TRULY care and and will stick by you no matter what... people you connect with, people who like and accept you as you are... warts and all... and those are the people I treasure. The rest aren't worth it if they don't accept you as you are...

For me I guess I have decided that you never know which person might be the REAL treasure so decide who you want to be and just be yourself, be nice, and treat others as you'd have them treat you and then some gems are bound to turn up!
    Just keep looking!

Thinking of you and hoping you find true friends real soon! Meanwhile you have loads of Cyber friends here at SF!

Take care
  6. SuperJerk

SuperJerk Account Closed

I don't have very many friends, so I don't really know when people like me or not.
  7. jasonkramer

jasonkramer Well-Known Member

well at least iam not alone in this issue. i wounder how prevalent issues like this were in the past.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.