Odd question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by flowerpot, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flowerpot

flowerpot Well-Known Member

I know this is probably random but it bugs me.
    If you were to commit suicide, do they perform an autopsy?
    Because I really don't want anything to happen to my body after I die, that's why I'd want to die somewhere that people wouldn't find me till I was just a skeleton.
    But if you OD'd would they have to do it to find out which drug?
    Even if it's from natural death, I don't want people touching me :dry:
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

If you OD, they would definitely conduct an autopsy on your body to find out what drug you took and the actual cause of death. An autopsy isn't pretty either. They cut you open and take out all of your organs and hack them up too see what exactly killed you. If you're really concerned about this happening, then don't kill yourself. :hug:
  3. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I dont know that they'd necessarily do an autposy on an od b/c they can run blood tests to see what you've taken. If that then can't be proven by the blood then they might see what's in your stomach contents to see what you'd taken. Hope that helps
  4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

They do with 'suspicious' deaths, i.e. if they can't tell what killed you from just doing a preliminary examination, they'd do one. They'd do a tox screen with the autopsy too. Generally with natural deaths, like old age, they don't do an autopsy unless the family requests one.
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Chances are good with a suicide they may do an autopsy. It depends on where you live and the policies in that area.
  6. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

I think it depends on where you live but even if you died 'normally' your body would still have to be 'pre-paired' by the funeral home.

If you OD'D I would certainly think they would find out what killed you.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't suppose they would do an autopsy if you left a signed document stating you did not want one, and clarifying the cause of death... But they might still. Autopsies are really not pretty [except to medical examiners... they're enthused about the subject]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.