Oh god not again, fucking computer

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by TheWr0ngChild, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

My computer is playing up, AGAIN. When you reboot it the screen goes blank & says it's not getting a signal. Sometimes it does this once windows has started too. I spoke to the guy at the shop & he tells me to update the graphics card driver, which I did, it did NOTHING to solve it so now it looks like I need a new card, which I will get done next week. I have a spare PC if worse comes to the worst, it's not that good but it works, but thats not it, I HATE THIS COMPUTER, I WANT A NEW ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I know how selfish & greedy that sounds but I'm sick to fucking death of the glitches & the anxiety this is causing me. It's so bad I havn't had any sleep, my hair is falling out in clumps, I feel sick ALL THE TIME, my heart feels like it's going to explode, and I need to get drunk.
    The only thing that helps me at times like this are codeine & alcohol. I wish I had a GP who listened to me when I say this instead of pushing prozac at me & telling me there's nothing he can do. I know there's anti anxiety meds you can take for very short periods of time, but how do I ask for them without looking like I'm drug seeking, which in a way I spose I am lol.

Fuck.

2. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

Maybe you need to spend some time away from the computer. It's just a computer. I can tell that you know this is irrational.

Watch some movies, shows, read some freaky horror books.

I dunno. It's just a computer. Relax. It has little importance in life

3. TheWr0ngChild

Your more than right, only my problem comes from how I have Aspergers Syndrome and I rely on my computer for everything. I don't go out until I have to, I have no social contacts apart from my boyfriend, who has to work. We live together & everything and I love him to bits, only me and him both know I need a life away from the computer. I've had no support, no help nothing. People with Aspergers Syndrome, specialy adults fit into a grey area and nobody will offer any support. I'm only just getting in contact with a new team in my area with regards to it, but I worry it will be too little too late.

If my computer fails, my life fails.

I am determined to replace this shithouse pc this year though with something bigger & faster. I dunno yet what it will be but it'll beat this sack of shite lol.

4. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

Hey,I got diagnozed with Asperger in 05. They changed the diagnosis to shizotyp something something when I ODd for the second time 08.

They don't know that the reason I don't have a social life is because of other people, not me.

5. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Hey Tin Woman you may know about this or it may not work but you can try

(oh and I'm not using vista, if you are the prompts could be different I don't know vista.....might be worth you googleing in that case......)

for clarity everything you should type I'm putting in bold text, obviously you don't have to if you type it!

'click' on start icon (bottom left of your screen)

'click' on run (bottom of right hand panel that appears!)

type cmd into the box of the window that appears

click 'ok' option

a new window should appear, if you haven't seen it before it may look a bit daunting, worry not..........

type (exactly) chkdsk /f then press enter

it will tell you that it cannot perform the check and ask if you want to perform it when pc next starts and give you a y/n option

type y press enter

it will then give you some more blurb, I can't remember exactly what! again worry not

type exit press enter

cmd window will now vanish and you are now back to your usual screen

now restart your computer it may take a bit of time but it will run a check on your hard disk and perform any fixes if necesary, (like magic, it's great!) it goes through stages and tells you this, just let it do its stuff it's automatic. Your pc will then restart automatically.
    I don't promise miracles but this could well fix your problems. If it's hardware maybe not but it's worth a try. I only write this as you seem desperate, of course I take no responsibility should your pc explode due to this!:laugh: (it won't). If your'e worried you could create a system restore point to stay on the safe side (click my computer then performance/maintenance then go to system restore and follow prompts). Naturally I take no responsibility for your pc's health!:smile:

6. TheWr0ngChild

Tbh I'm way too far gone to go messing with it, I'm struggling to type I'm shaking so much, the last thing I want to do is go and make it worse, but thanks.

7. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Trust me it's easy, there are only four commands and it's dead straight forward, honest! I'm no pc head but after my pc crashed 10's of times till I wanted to bite it and kick it about the room (it was awful I lost so much important stuff I felt sick and was nearly reduced to tears) I found this procedure after many a dull hours research and head scratching. I'd suggest next time you're feeling chilled try it on your old pc and you will see it's fool proof ( trust me I can do it and I'm a fool!)

8. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

Where's your boyfriend now? Maybe he can help you. Have you considered comiting yourself?

:stereo:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:hug: tin_woman

10. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear your pc is still playing up. Hope you can manage to find a solution to it soon. A friend of mine had a similar problem and in the end he got a new pc. He then took great pleasure in dropping the old one out of a second storey window and watching it smash into pieces. He was still smiling about it as he cleared up the bits.:smile:

11. TheWr0ngChild

I think it's going to come to that Snowraven, it's just finding the money to do it, which I hope can be sooner rather than later

12. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

If you have to get a new one I hope the money comes quickly for you and if it comes to destroying the one you have now I hope you get as much pleasure out of it as my friend did.:smile:

13. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Tin Woman. I would recommend waiting for a little while before buying a new computer. Microsoft is launching Windows 7 and it's much more user friendly than Vista. I bought a new HP computer with Vista on it last year and it works pretty good but it crashes from time to time.

14. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

:hug: i feel the same way about my laptop.
    itll be turning on and then nothing happens
    it also doesnt hold a charge anymore.
    :hug:you dont sound selfish for wanting a
    new one

15. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Please computer destroyers and replacers ( to great expense ), try my simple advice (my previous post on this thread).

I wanted to but couldn't beat mine to a smoking mess as I couldn't afford to!

That was the only reason. It took me hours to research that little beauty, what do you have to lose? ( if you're gonna chuck the damn thing out of the window anyway!!!)

I dunno, I wouldn't have posted it had I thought there was any danger to your kit!

16. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have run the check disk scan before and it does help some things. It is safe to run. it is too bad the cost of technology has to be so high when it has basically become a necessity in todays society. Good luck Tin_Woman. :arms:

17. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Ok this is my last one here. God loves a trier.

The 'f ' in chk dsk /f stands for fix. As in fix the problems with the copy of windows on your hard drive that runs, boots, closes your pc.

(Any pc experts feel free to shoot me down in flames here!)

My aged and cobbled together (3rd hand) pc has a problem with some of it's hardware, every time I watched you tube played a game etc it gradually slowed until it froze, went to a blue screen of death etc and eventually had to be reinstalled. (by the time I had done it 30 odd times I was pretty sick)

There is a problem with the way my hardware (graphics card as far as I can tell) communicates with my pc, it corrupts the registry I believe and does terrors to the hard drives process in a way I can't fathom. I am no expert an don't profess to be. I would have purchased a new graphics card but couldn't afford it.

The chkdsk /f procedure has kept my pc 100% stable for months and keeps the interface with my world intact.

You could follow the same procedure as I've stated earlier in this thread and omit the /f, just type chkdsk and it will tell you if there are problems but will not fix them, for that you must add the /f.

I am no ratfink and I mean no harm! Google chkdsk /f for confirmation!

(p.s. Gentlelady ty for the back up!, ie the procedure won't destroy a pc even if it doesn't remedy the issue! For a moment there I felt like a villian!)

I'm done here! Good luck all!

18. TheWr0ngChild

Well there was no need for this thread! Guess what it was??

No?

THE MONITOR!

HURR DUUR ME STUPID.

Changed it over to my spare (and somewhat better) monitor and voila, so far no more blank screens.

19. helena

helena Staff Alumni

Good to hear :)!
    and though this thread was helpfull,
    we got some good advice in solving problems

20. TheWr0ngChild

Thanks though to everyone who offered advice :)

I tend to freak out before I've eliminated the most obvious problems with this computer. The old monitor we bought from PC World and it was an ex display one. Couple that with PC World's total incompetance and you get problems like this lol. For all I know it could have been turned on for 4 years before we bought it. Anyway I kinda like this big one :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.