Oh, hooray...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by pit, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

...I'm living for work. I knew it had to happen sooner or later. Going to technical school for four years, then I graduate. The first couple years are exhilerating, I'm making good many. The years after are so, so, things are kind of routine. Now I have come full circle 'cause now I hate my job. Spending all that money and time to finally wind up in a job I hate. But guess what? There are no other options. Sure, there are some good points about it like I work out of my home, and I take breaks whenever I want. I'm an independant contractor. The problem is, I'm working day and night. I can get burned out in the space of a couple days, never mind a full week. When they got me on the hamster wheel doing the same job over and over, I feel like I can't do it any more. I can't concentrate, can't make deadline. But I don't now what else I can do.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Can you take some vacation time tell boss you need some time away as you are getting burnt out I am sorry you are overburdened hun Keep putting resumes out there ok until you do find that job that you do enjoy Hugs

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

If one were to survey the population, there are many people who do not like their jobs. One of my son's complained about his job to me once and I told him, "That is why they call it work and not play." That said, you have the luxury of working from home and as a contractor, which definitely has great advantages. Like you, I tend to work 24/7 (own business) and while I elected to go into my line of work (well, as you did), I have many times that I find I wish I was doing something else. Again with statistics, I would guess that is the case of many also.

Even when we work non stop, and even when we say we do nothing else, there are times that we find where we can do something of our choice. This is when we do things that we enjoy, such as music, or art, or collecting, or ... Earning good money helps pave the way for better things to occupy ourselves with. As an independent contractor, you do make your own hours... so section off some time to go enjoy whatever your other interest(s) are. Time management is more difficult when working for yourself, as you still have deadlines, but you can usually get up at any time and break away for a bit - do you have family or pets?

With your skills, perhaps you can find something that is more 9-5pm and not contracting..? It could be in the same line of work, but might give you more freedom of not feeling like you have to keep up the grind as much. Working is a necessary evil and it's not a given that we'll enjoy it. Use it as the tool that supports the other things you do that do fulfill a day.

4. Count Floyd

Count Floyd Well-Known Member

Well you have to look at it from the other perspective. You could be stuck in an office with a job you hate and people you hate being around which would be ten times worse. At least you're at home. I think most people would kill to have a job like that. People with curly hair wish they had straight and people with straight hair wish they had curly. You have to remember, you could be way worse off.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I agree with what has already been suggested-can you take a break/holiday? Perhaps that would help a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.