Ok to cry in counceling?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Jooper62, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

I have been seeing a therapist off and on over the years and started seeing Lcsw.. I don't know the difference .anyway the new councelor i am seeing last 3 times .. I just want to bust out crying but i hold it in..I cry alone but never to another person.. I have all this crap built up in me .I just don't want her to think I am a freak or something.. Other people told me I seem like a time tomb ready to go off. I feel like that sometimes. I would not hurt anybody by all means. Its all the pressure building up.. thanks for responses.

2. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Cry cry and then cry some more, let it all out.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, crying isn't very productive, since it impedes communication, but your therapist absolutely will not judge you for it.

4. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone means alot to me

5. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

I think it's important to know the reasons why you don't feel able to cry infront of her. You say that you don't want her to judge you or think you're a freak. You sound like you're beating yourself up a lot over the fact that you feel down and want to cry. It's ok to cry. It's ok and it's a human emotion. Your counsellor will not think badly of you for crying - maybe you could talk about your fears with her? It sounds like you have a lot of feelings trapped inside you and it may be helpful to let some of these feelings out and not be alone. You need to know that you are safe in counselling, that your counsellor will not hurt or judge you. If you feel able, it may be worth talking to her about this. We're here for you too if you want to talk some more x

6. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Crying can be a great release and to do so in no way makes you a freak. I doubt that there is anyone in the world who hasn't cried at some point in their lives. For most of it is one of the first things we do when we are born. I agree with the post above that in one way it can be a hinderence to communication but in another way crying itself is a form of communication.It says quite simply "I am hurting".

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I asked my therapist about it and she said it was not only ok that it was mandatory that if I needed to cry we stop and let it out.

8. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

i think just let it out,because I find the more you hold in the more it builds up.

9. Erratic

Erratic Active Member

My therapist keeps telling me to purge and release all of my bottled up emotions when I struggle not to cry in front of her. I'd say it's okay for other people, but I judge myself pretty critically and hate doing in front of her or anyone else. I do it, though, sometimes.

10. Juliaa

Juliaa Well-Known Member

i never cry in theropy, i don't know why, i can feel myself about to break down, but i keep telling myself not to try.
    he always asks me if i'm able to cry, i say yes, but i barely cry anymore, i used to cry alottt. but i just can't seem to do it anymore, i dont' want to seem weaker then i already am.
    but my adivce to you, even if i don't listen to it, is to let yourself cry, i'm sure it will help.

11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

When I was in the hospital my therapist in there would have me in tears everytime it was my turn to see her. I always felt like an idiot because I am 6'3" and weigh 300 lbs. I would just blubber away with her but it didn't make me feel better it always made me feel immature. My therapist on the outside has yet to get me in tears. I just hold it all in. I think I am cried out because I have opened up with her and talked about all my issues. By all means let it out. Trust me you don't want to hold it in!!Take Care!~Joseph~

12. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been answered, but LCSW stands for "Licensed Certified Social Worker." Typically, they have Master’s in Social Work and passing the Clinical Examination. This is also the highest level of a social worker, and most clinical therapists practicing are certified LCSW's.

Psychologists have earned a doctorate degree in psychology. Their training may have been focused on theory and research methods, or they may have concentrated in clinical therapy and counseling. Psychologists are required to complete several years of supervised practice before becoming licensed.

It's important to note that LCSW's are not necessarily sub-par to licensed psychologists. It really depends on the individual, the amount of experience, and the "chemistry" between clinician and client.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/content/therapy_credentials.html
    http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/content/therapy_professionals.html

To address your main question though. Of course it's okay to cry! Crying is simply another form of emotion manifesting itself in a more physical way. A good therapist will be able to handle challenging emotions, and won't get "turned off" by tears. It's why most have tissue boxes strategically placed throughout their office, lol. They have seen it all before --- Believe me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008