Old Vehicles (The Classics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanquished

Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but I grew up around the classics. My dad started restoring cars at the tender age of 12. That's when he earned the money to buy his first car. It was the '40's then. (He had to cut a tree down that was growing THRU his first car - a Model A). Him and his best friend restored it, sold it, and got another car to do. He's been restoring them ever since. He's 81yrs old now, and still at it.

While I was growing up he restored a '40 Merc convertible. He made so much money off the Merc that he was able to put a full sized, in ground, fiberglass swimming pool in our backyard and had it totally landscaped around it.

He also did a 64.5 Mustang. He had to do that one twice cuz my brother wrecked it after his 1st restoration. He also did a '47 Studebaker pickup that he chopped. It looked very classy when he was done.

I can't even list all the other ones he's done since then, but one of them was another Model A. This was just a hobby for him. His main job was advertising and marketing.

So I have a deep love of the classics, and I've decided the next vehicle I own is going to be a classic. I like that I can actually work on them, and the fact they have lots of room to work. (And I, too, am a woman.)

My ex husband had a Gremlin in the 70's. He souped it up, and he LOVED his, too. His email even had the word Gremlin in it. He has since passed away (last year). May he rest in peace.

JD4010

Sorry about your ex, @betteroffunknown . I love Gremlins. I had 3 of them at different times. Definitely fun cars.

I don't currently have any classics. I do have a massive collection of old advertising literature and a library full of automotive history books.

Vanquished

My dad also used to pinstripe racing cars back in the 50's. He was still doing it (not on race cars. That was only the 50's) up till three years ago when his hands became too shaky to do it anymore. He did write a small pamphlet on how to do it, and which tools work best for it. I have a few copies of it left, but it's sad at how it's becoming a lost art.

JD4010

Wow! That photo of the 1975 Gremlin looks identical to the first one I ever owned. I bought it with 3000 miles on it in November of 1975. I loved that car. It was a blast to drive and it held up very well. I even drove it into Mexico.

View attachment 6214

JD4010

1960 Chevrolet "Apache" 4X4 pickup. This was back in the day when pickups were meant for work rather than trying to impress the neighbors. This thing would have ridden like hell and the cab would be full of engine, transmission and the tire noise. Standard engine was a 235 (3.8L) inline six, with a 261 (4.3L) inline six and 283 (4.6L) V8 as options. The heavy duty 4-speed transmission was essentially a 3-speed with "granny low" tacked on. There was nothing civilized about this truck, which is probably why I like it so much. View attachment 6474

Fleetw

36 years in the future, the Imperial looked like this. For 1969, a new "fuselage" style was introduced. It made the car look even more enormous than its immediate ancestors. Interior room was increased as well. The Imperial had already established its reputation as a superior road car. The torsion bar front/leaf spring rear suspension gave the car more stability and better high speed handling than either of its Cadillac or Lincoln competitors. The 440 V8 was very strong as well. Wonderful cars. View attachment 5681
Yes, very impressive. The 440 was a great engine and the Imperial a very luxurious car. I also like full-sized, classic luxury cars. My current one is a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine. Owned since 1999. Always fun to drive it (or be driven in)... View attachment 6481

Deety

SF Supporter
I drove a classic car until about a year ago, when I couldn't cope with organising regular upkeep and small repairs anymore (mental exhaustion). Now I drive a boring car, but I like that people don't look at me (the car) anymore.
I still love my car but I'm going to sell it soon (when I get the energy to get around to it).

JD4010

@nobodyknows71 I've always been a fan of that Capri as well. One of my brother's friends had a ~1971 model. I think it had a 2.0L engine. I remember that it handled very well for the time, especially compared to many Yank tanks.

JD4010

I drove a classic car until about a year ago, when I couldn't cope with organising regular upkeep and small repairs anymore (mental exhaustion). Now I drive a boring car, but I like that people don't look at me (the car) anymore.
I still love my car but I'm going to sell it soon (when I get the energy to get around to it).
I really have no place to put a classic car. I now live in an apartment and have to park any vehicle outside. I driving a boring minivan that flies under everyone's radar. I actually love the vehicle because it is so comfortable and versatile. I'm also suffering with a degree of anhedonia so the things that used to excite me no longer do. I'm content with looking at other people's old vehicles now.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
Oooooo JD, thank you for bumping this thread up. I love old vehicles. Though it's not too sporty or efficient, one of my favorite old cars is the VW Bus. It's the hippie in me and if I had lived during it's reign I would surely have owned and cherished this one...
View attachment 6528 View attachment 6529
Oh the places we would have gone as we criss crossed the country together, stopping every few hundred miles to cool off the engine and then running and pushing her down the road to get 'er started again. I would have been the happiest camper alive if I ever owned this bus, and would probably still be living in it today. :D

JD4010

@Sunday16 That is one nice bus! I've always loved the concept of those. I've actually toyed with the idea of living out of something like that. My 2 kitties could exist comfortably in there with me.

@Fleetw See, look at that gorgeous interior!! It is far more inviting than any new car. Even in the "big" Cadillacs now, I feel claustrophobic. And the seats are as hard as a rock. I have lost all interest in new cars.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
I've actually toyed with the idea of living out of something like that.
There's something romantic about it, right? There's no shower or toilet but where I would go there'd be plenty of wilderness and I'm sure the bears wouldn't mind sharing!
I also love the teardrop camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00