Old Vehicles (The Classics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleetw

@Sunday16 That is one nice bus! I've always loved the concept of those. I've actually toyed with the idea of living out of something like that. My 2 kitties could exist comfortably in there with me.

@Fleetw See, look at that gorgeous interior!! It is far more inviting than any new car. Even in the "big" Cadillacs now, I feel claustrophobic. And the seats are as hard as a rock. I have lost all interest in new cars.
Yes, I rode in a friend's 2010 Cadillac DTS. The seats were not soft at all and the ride was nowhere as smooth as that in my Cadillacs.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
When saw this thread had to share photo of car I had in college....1969 two door "classic green" Newport....though wouldn't even be able to begin to afford gas now...have to admit miss the "respect' got on the road due to its size. and V8 engine-a far cry from the Honda Fit drive now...when brakes went out an hour from home decided could still make it as figured could "grind to a halt" on guard rails if I had to....though don't miss the non-forced air ..e.g. when you weren't moving got no air from vents...

JD4010

@Kiwi2016 I had a 1971 Newport, which was very similar to that 1969. I loved it. It handled well for such a large barge. Even the standard 383 V8, sucking air through a 2V carburetor, moved it right along. There is a '69 for sale here...I am mighty tempted.

JD4010

View attachment 6888 1957 DeSoto Adventurer. This was a limited edition model along the lines of Chrysler's "beautiful brute" 300. The Adventurer was powered by a DeSoto-specific 345 CID "Hemi" V8 with two 4-V carbs. Handling was very good, courtesy of the new torsion bar front/leaf spring rear suspension system. Big, beautiful, and fast!

Sunday16

SF Supporter
@Kiwi2016 that Chrysler is quite a car. I looked it up and it's over 10 feet long, wow. It looks a lot like the car my grandfather had for years. It was just parked in the garage, had barely any miles on it. I rode in it once. I think it was a Pontiac, 1970 something. Looked like this...
View attachment 6896

JD4010

@Kiwi2016 that Chrysler is quite a car. I looked it up and it's over 10 feet long, wow. It looks a lot like the car my grandfather had for years. It was just parked in the garage, had barely any miles on it. I rode in it once. I think it was a Pontiac, 1970 something. Looked like this...
View attachment 6896
That is a 1978 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham. These were great cars. Completely redesigned from the ground up in 1977, they had shed ~900 lbs over the big 1976 models, yet the interiors were even roomier. With the decreased weight, performance, fuel economy, and handling were all improved. The 1977-79 models were available with the big 6.6l/400 cubic inch V8, making these cars great performers.

Sunday16

SF Supporter
I spoke to my parents and learned the car my grandpa had was a 1972 Pontiac Grand Ville. Brown with a hard top. Probably not as nice as the Bonneville but he had it for 25 years and sold it with fewer than 50K miles on it.

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
@Kiwi2016 I had a 1971 Newport, which was very similar to that 1969. I loved it. It handled well for such a large barge. Even the standard 383 V8, sucking air through a 2V carburetor, moved it right along. There is a '69 for sale here...I am mighty tempted.
You should go for it...it's a great car....still miss it...

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
View attachment 6896
Yes...it was impressive as when I pulled up beside a "normal limo" it was just as long...what always got me was that under the hood there was about a foot of space between engine and fender...just to make it longer...could lie down on the seats fully and the trunk was massive....

Sunday16

SF Supporter
@JD4010 you're like a classic car encyclopedia. Thank you for all your awesome information!
My dad had this sweet little number in the 1960's, but it accidentally rolled down a hill and into traffic :eek:
He reminisces about how much he loved that car!

1963 Triumph TR3

Kiwi2016

SF Pro
@JD4010 you're like a classic car encyclopedia. Thank you for all your awesome information!
My dad had this sweet little number in the 1960's, but it accidentally rolled down a hill and into traffic :eek:
He reminisces about how much he loved that car!

1963 Triumph TR3
what a beautiful car....and given my birth year...think may have to put this on my wish list...

JD4010

@Sunday16 Sweet! I love Triumphs. My brother had a TR-4 after he graduated from high school. It was "British Racing Green", of course. It was also ruled by Lucas, Prince of Darkness. :) That car was such a blast.

JD4010

1956 Mercury Medalist. Standard engine was a 312 CID (5.2L) "Y-block" V8 fed by a 4V carburetor. This setup made the "Big M" a stellar performer. Handling was good too, courtesy of the ball-joint front suspension descended from the system used in the "Road Race" Lincolns of 1952-54.

Early in 1956, an "M-260" option, essentially the 312 V8 with a hot cam, higher compression ratio and two 4V carbs was offered. Needless to say, these were fast. Unfortunately, they are also very rare. I've only seen one in my entire life.

View attachment 7045

Sunday16

SF Supporter
The 1950s is the decade I picture when people talk about "classic cars" and my favorite car of this era is the Corvette. Though I don't know how they ran they certainly were nice to look at!

Fleetw

View attachment 6888 1957 DeSoto Adventurer. This was a limited edition model along the lines of Chrysler's "beautiful brute" 300. The Adventurer was powered by a DeSoto-specific 345 CID "Hemi" V8 with two 4-V carbs. Handling was very good, courtesy of the new torsion bar front/leaf spring rear suspension system. Big, beautiful, and fast!
Yes, the '57 DeSoto Adventurer is one of my favorite '50s cars, along with the '57 Chrysler 300-C (392-Hemi/375 hp), the '57 Plymouth Fury (318 w/2x4 bbl/290 hp) and the '59 Cadillac. The '57 DeSoto Adventurer came with a 345-Hemi engine rated at 345 hp. The first American car in which the standard engine was rated at 1 hp/cu. in. The '56 Chrysler 300-B 354-Hemi engine was available with a 355 hp-rated engine, but the standard engine was rated at 340 hp. The '57 DeSoto with that 345-Hemi engine could run 0-60 mph in 8 seconds or better and top out at 135+ mph.

JD4010

@Sunday16 I love those early Corvettes too. They were simple and brutal. Lots of engine in a lightweight chassis. That gorgeous body style in your pictures started with the 1956 model year. I think the aqua colored Corvette on top is a '56, while the red/white one is a '57.

In a word, they were FAST. Great acceleration.

JD4010

Yes, the '57 DeSoto Adventurer is one of my favorite '50s cars, along with the '57 Chrysler 300-C (392-Hemi/375 hp), the '57 Plymouth Fury (318 w/2x4 bbl/290 hp) and the '59 Cadillac. The '57 DeSoto Adventurer came with a 345-Hemi engine rated at 345 hp. The first American car in which the standard engine was rated at 1 hp/cu. in. The '56 Chrysler 300-B 354-Hemi engine was available with a 355 hp-rated engine, but the standard engine was rated at 340 hp. The '57 DeSoto with that 345-Hemi engine could run 0-60 mph in 8 seconds or better and top out at 135+ mph.
Yes, 1957 was definitely Chrysler's year. The gorgeous new body styles, the souped-up engines, the torsion bar front suspension...excellent engineering. Unfortunately, build quality wasn't up to snuff. No matter; I'd take any one of those beasts!

Sunday16

SF Supporter
'57 Chrysler 300-C (392-Hemi/375 hp), the '57 Plymouth Fury (318 w/2x4 bbl/290 hp) and the '59 Cadillac.
@Fleetw I looked up these cars, they are very cool. The '57 Chrysler 300C is kind of scary looking. It reminds me of the car in the movie Christine.

And the tail lights on the '59 Cadillac are outrageous! I've never seen anything like that, it's like a spaceship or something.

Same with the '57 Plymouth Fury. There was some crazy tail end flair happening in the 1950s. I dig it.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00