olympics 2012

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by the masked depressant, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

do you think that having the olympics in london in 2012is a good idea?

what do you think it will bring to the city, or take away from us if you like- and how do you think a country like england will cope?
  2. foolnomore

foolnomore Well-Known Member

Bad idea,I live in London and I am paying for something that does not interest me at all.It has improved Stratford station but that is about all. This is England we will screw it up like we have everything else in more recent years. There was a time when we did things well but those days are gone .
  3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I agree. Bear in mine the olympics are happening in south east london and how many people in south east london helped build it? 10% thats 10% out of 35,000 which is 3500. Its only gonna go downhill from here
  4. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

The whole thing is a farce. In times of cuts to the benefit system, the dismantling of the NHS and the huge amount spent invading other countries, this is something we could have all done without. Not only can the country not afford it, it can't even sell it's tickets fairly. Who really is that interested in the games other than a handful of events. The timing couldn't be any worse considering the Commonwealth games taking place 2 years later.
  5. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Makes me sick that we got the games,what a huge waste of money. To be honest I'm not sure it's gonna recoup much in the current economic climate.Who's gonna fly to England just to watch people running round a track or jumping in a sandpit when everything's so fucking expensive? Anyone considering coming here from another country should do their homework and stay away,you'll be hard pushed to find a city with higher over inflated prices than london.
  6. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Sporting events like the Olympics and the World Cup aren't about making money or being good for the local community they are about flexing your muscles infront of the rest of the world.

What good will it bring? More kids will get into sport and we'll probably have a better Olympic team in 10 years time than we do now.

Fact is we won this pre-recession when Labour happily through shed loads of money at everything. It won't have economic benefit now.
  7. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Aye, the talk of cuts is somewhat moot when this was won and budgeted for by Labour in 2005.
  8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Sure, why not. It'll rake in plenty of money for the economy/businesses from additional tourists, and could supply jobs.
  9. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

There are definitely pros and cons for having the Olympics.

It will bring in tourism, money, business, revenue and in the long term will benefit the country financially which is what we need right now in these tough times. It was budgeted for by Labour in 2005 so I don't think it is insulting to have it in the slightest in a time where there are cuts.

However the things they have not considered are completely shocking. Such as the transport systems etc. The government have urged the people of London to take time off of work during the Olympic weeks because with the usual number of people travelling plus the extra 1 millions people expected to be in London at the time, the transport systems will just not be able to cope. It is bad enough during peak times as it is. Also the £2.20 you pay on the buses (such as when you forget your oyster) is set to be £3 come the Olympics. The cost of travel is going to be absolutely ludacris and while it benefits the travel companies and the government it does not benefit the people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.