OMG Clown World is truly upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
People receive psychological validation by how many likes, loves, emoj-reloated slaps of the back they get. Yes, you read that right. The emoji now rules supreme.

Bear in mind those people getting the 'virtual love' may not be so nice in real life. But carry on, in this deluded flow. In this postmodernist, hedonistic world, it's all about instant gratification. Just watch what that does to IQ levels over the 50 years. The docile, compliant, unwashed masses have saturated themselves with distractions as their brain continues to rot. Meanwhile, the Oliographs are robbing you blind hahahaha....genius those oligarchs.

Jane65

People receive psychological validation by how many likes, loves, emoj-reloated slaps of the back they get. Yes, you read that right. The emoji now rules supreme.

Bear in mind those people getting the 'virtual love' may not be so nice in real life. But carry on, in this deluded flow. In this postmodernist, hedonistic world, it's all about instant gratification. Just watch what that does to IQ levels over the 50 years. The docile, compliant, unwashed masses have saturated themselves with distractions as their brain continues to rot. Meanwhile, the Oliographs are robbing you blind hahahaha....genius those oligarchs.
Brilliant summary!! *agreed

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I suppose there are people who thrive on the need for hugs and likes. In many instances I use an emoji to better portray what I am saying. I could stand a hug, a real one, the virtual ones aren't really the same to me.

I try not to worry to much about other peoples motives for wanting a like, hug or a smile online. There are a lot more factors built into that than instant gratification.

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
I suppose there are people who thrive on the need for hugs and likes. In many instances I use an emoji to better portray what I am saying. I could stand a hug, a real one, the virtual ones aren't really the same to me.

I try not to worry to much about other peoples motives for wanting a like, hug or a smile online. There are a lot more factors built into that than instant gratification.
I reckon people just use emojis coz they're there and many think they have to force their emotional state on others, just to make sure the other person gets what you're feeling.In real life they just cross the street.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I reckon people just use emojis coz they're there and many think they have to force their emotional state on others, just to make sure the other person gets what you're feeling.In real life they just cross the street.
I'm pretty sure people rarely, if ever, get how I'm feeling. Let alone grasp my emotional state. I don't see it as anyone forcing their emotional state on anyone. It helps with understanding tone of voice when you are communicating in a solely text based environment. I get that for whatever reason it completely irritates you, but I don't see emojis as a completely mindless endeavor. Some people overuse them, but overall I see that as the exception.

Dark111

FORMER SF SUPPORTER
I'm pretty sure people rarely, if ever, get how I'm feeling. Let alone grasp my emotional state. I don't see it as anyone forcing their emotional state on anyone. It helps with understanding tone of voice when you are communicating in a solely text based environment. I get that for whatever reason it completely irritates you, but I don't see emojis as a completely mindless endeavor. Some people overuse them, but overall I see that as the exception.
You're right, Nick. I can certainly see how the statement "forcing one's emotional state on others" can be viewed as excessive. The written word is interpreted differently to the spoken word, and so absent the usual behavioural cues of face-to-face communication, I can see how emojis have their place in terms of compensation.

Perhaps I could have approached what I wanted to say differently. Social media, particularly for young people who, for all intents and purposes, grew up in the social media age. And the thing about so much of social media is that it is not an accurate representation of reality. Everything is hyper-inflated and universalized. And yes, there are young people who have no problem sprinkling emojis throughout snapchat, messenger, discord, instagram, etc, etc. But expressing any of those watered down, less cartoonish emotions is real life doesn't come so easy.

Velveteen Bunny

It always makes me think of the wife in Fahrenheit 51. She was so shallow, and only wanted to watch TV, and do what everyone else was doing. She was unable to think for herself. A meaningless existence without the ability to truly connect with another human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00