On another fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby

I've been on a fast since sunday and haven't eaten a thing since then. The only problem is that I don't seem to have lost as much weight as i'd have liked. I don't understand; i've been drinking lots of water and sugar free drinks, i've been exercising until I can barely breathe and I haven't touched ANY food. Arggh, it doesn't make sense. I experienced really bad hunger pains yesterday - I couldn't get food out of my head, I had a headache and was tired. I'm just hoping that the pounds will all fall off again like they did when I last fasted!

I'm hoping to continue the fast until next wednesday and then i'll introduce a bit of fruit into my diet. I've also made an appointment with my GP to ask if she'll give me some pills to decrease my appetite (I doubt she will but it's worth a try). I weigh myself several times a day and the amount i've lost (or gained..) determines how I feel. Anyway, the hunger has decreased today (it normally does around day 3) and i've been using pro ana and thinspiration to keep me going.

- I'm diabetic which makes it slightly more difficult, but i've been having the occasional sugary drink when I feel my blood sugar going too low. I just hope I can do it.

x.R.x

if you stop eating altogether your body goes into starvation mode and tries to hang on to body fat
you need to eat a certain amount of calories each day in order to lose any weight and get your metabolism going
try and eat something at least :smile:

savetoniqht

Just going on a straight fast for a specific amount of time really won't help at all. Especially with your diabetes the way to lose weight, if you're so determined to, is definitely not by fasting.

S

Sycotic_Sarah

actually fasting does lose weight
i lost 50 pounds fasting for a month - kept it off - no harm done at all.

so thats bs :]

savetoniqht

Fasting in the long term loses weight, I'm definitely not denying that.
I'm talking about the week-long or so fasts... you gain the weight right back once you start eating again.

S

Sycotic_Sarah

not true either
ive gone on plenty of one week fasts and lost weight and kept it off.
its all about coming OFF the fast properley.

savetoniqht

Everyone is different.
The POINT is, fasting isn't the way to do it. No need to start off on that path when you already have the control to do otherwise.

S

Sycotic_Sarah

meh maybe other people have the control to stop it but ive been doing it for 3-4 years now ;)

savetoniqht

Yes, but stopping would entail starting it first, now wouldn't it?
I'm not telling anyone to stop. That would be pointless. I'm strongly discouraging starting.

Casey.

Sarah-
I disagree.
Fasting is not the way to lose weight. I am annoyed by the people who come on here and think that they can encourage people to do these things to themselves.

savetoniqht

You say it's their choice, and technically it is, but this isn't a pro forum. The last thing I would ever do is encourage someone to fast. I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't... you want to go on a pro forum, fine, but that's not what this is. Keep it to yourself, don't encourage it.

blue shoes

actually fasting does lose weight
i lost 50 pounds fasting for a month - kept it off - no harm done at all.

so thats bs :]
Everyone is different, it might have worked out for you, but that doesn't mean that it will work the same for others. So saying things like "it's not true" or "bs", except from being rude, is not right. It will work differently for everyone. I am very happy that it worked out for you, but you shouldn't encourage others to do it.

G

ggg456

I've been on a fast since sunday and haven't eaten a thing since then. The only problem is that I don't seem to have lost as much weight as i'd have liked. I don't understand; i've been drinking lots of water and sugar free drinks, i've been exercising until I can barely breathe and I haven't touched ANY food. Arggh, it doesn't make sense. I experienced really bad hunger pains yesterday - I couldn't get food out of my head, I had a headache and was tired. I'm just hoping that the pounds will all fall off again like they did when I last fasted!

I'm hoping to continue the fast until next wednesday and then i'll introduce a bit of fruit into my diet. I've also made an appointment with my GP to ask if she'll give me some pills to decrease my appetite (I doubt she will but it's worth a try). I weigh myself several times a day and the amount i've lost (or gained..) determines how I feel. Anyway, the hunger has decreased today (it normally does around day 3) and i've been using pro ana and thinspiration to keep me going.

- I'm diabetic which makes it slightly more difficult, but i've been having the occasional sugary drink when I feel my blood sugar going too low. I just hope I can do it.

You might be generally losing water and dehydrating. Weight is a lot of things. Muscle, bone, organ tissue, shit, urine, etc as well as fat

Peoples bodies are different and peoples metabolisms are different.

When you mean Sunday do you mean yesterday? Or last Sunday? Have you not eaten since then?

Being diabetic is another thing though- that sounds worrying and I'd be worried about your blood sugar going too low. The occasional sugary drink might not be enough, I mean it's great you're taking that but it's fast release. Your body needs slow-release glucose which it gets from food. Wholegrains are good and they won't make you gain fat.

Fasting generally, didn't work for me. I'd usually feel shit, start obsessing over food like you, start binging and then I'd go into some horrible b/p fest because I'd feel so desperate. It might help for short-term emotional relief but if you want to keep weight off and keep it off, there are ways of doing that which means A. you don't have to check your weight every day obsessively B. it's much slower and less taxing on your mental and physical state C. you're not risking your physical health/death especially if you're diabetic. D. it's just generally healthier although I do know having an eating disorder/want to self harm means you don't care about physical health at all and you'd do anything to get as low as possible :hug:

If you go and get pills to stop hunger, it won't last forever. You can't beat hunger. That's what I realised after years and years, hunger is just something that you can't escape. Fasting generally ends in a huge binge party for me :wink:.

S

Sycotic_Sarah

whatever dudessss
im not encouraging it
im saying that it works
not that its all goodie and shit
but it does work
my sister did it
my mum did it
my cousins did it
it worked for them
i trust my experiences, not some stupid facts.

Esmeralda

Try a juice fast. Use a juicer to blend various veggies (brocolli, sweet potatoes, carrots) with some fruits and at least drink that so your body gets the vitamins and minerals it needs. Trust me, you will lose more weight this way than by simply starving yourself, and it's a thousand times healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00