on citalopram for depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ZERO2008, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZERO2008

ZERO2008 Well-Known Member

anyone got any more info on this or how strong the drug is is it for like severe depression im taking them im getting beter but i fear i will slide back down wen im off it again :(
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am currently on maximum dose of citalopram. It didn't help me for depression but it took away my anxiety only a tiny bit. It keeps stopping and starting working,it's weird. I hate this drug and I'm only taking it to keep my mom happy.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Citalopram is not for everyone and most should try at least 1 or 2 others is not seeing excellent results on it. My mother did ok with it for about 10 years but was neverreally happy, just not as sad. Then he started her on Cymbalta about 6 months ago and she has noticed a much better mood change.
  4. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Been on this for about a month and a half now and hasn't really done anything for me, but it's different for different people. Best bet is to look it up on wikipedia. Also, there may be some side effects e.g. tiredness, insomnia, sickness etc. But like I said, depends on the person. All they've done for me so far is make me incredibly tired, even moreso than usual. Good luck anyway. Hope it works better for you.
  5. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I have been taking this for about a month and a half and it has not done anything for me except make me extremely tired throughout the day and take what little energy I did have. The doctor who prescribed it told me I should notice an increase in energy within the first couple of weeks but that isn't the case for me. It also suppresses my appetite which is not a good thing for me because I really can't afford to lose any weight. You can look up the side effects online. If it doesn't work for you, you can ask your doc to switch your meds.
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

SSRIs are very much unlike anti-biotics or barbiturates. They are very specific to the person they are being given to, and it can thusly be very difficult to gauge their effectiveness beforehand outside of a few generalized side effects.
  7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

My mother is on the lowest dose of Citalopram (10 mg) right now, but she has been on 20 mg. It has worked well for her. She doesn't have depressive disorder, but PMDD-related depression.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.