on death and suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by LILICHIPIE, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LILICHIPIE

LILICHIPIE Well-Known Member

Ive just finished Shopenhauer last essay - for those who dont know he was a german philosopher from te 19th century

I underlined some quotes that spoke to me and thought Id share

:smile:

His wiew on suicide cowardice

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.”

His view on loss

“The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arise from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost”

The assumption that animals are without rights and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality."

the wiew on Suicide and its causes

"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live”

Ill write more

2. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I have some books on suicide. The best is The Savage God by A. Alvarez, and November Of The Soul. More and more people commit suicide in this day and age. Though we may be technologically advanced, we're socially and spiritually left behind.

3. An Angel in Black

An Angel in Black Well-Known Member

thats really intresting... actually, i do know who he is because i read a biography about him...intresting man..lol i agree that westren culture is absolutly rediculous, its disrespectful, discurtious, and as far as morals go, theyve taken a major hit. i hate this country..lol i hate politicains, and i hate animal rights opposers. animals have feelings too, and its discusting how theyre treated sometimes. it sickens me, it really does.

p.s. how are feeling agnes? better i hope..:smile:

4. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

You should watch a series called Philosophy: a guide to happiness. They do a piece on Schopenhauer, among others such as Montaigne, Aristotle, Nietzsche etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.