On Getting Old

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Getting old sucks! You are born into this world all innocent and cuddly, with a whole world and future before you. There are dreams and goals and hopes and all that supposedly good stuff. But what happens? Life shreds your dreams and hopes. You cling to a few precious moments that brought a few, a very few, good memories to life. Then all hell breaks loose. You get old. All those dreams and hopes are shattered. You watch family and friends die. Your own health and finances go down the toilet. You can't do any of the things you used to do. You aren't physically able to. You stop dreaming and hoping because you have learned how hopeless it is. Well, I guess you still have one hope. For death. For a quick and easy one. I really don't understand why people bring babies into this world when there is so little to look forward. A few happy moments and then death. And death does not come easily. Oh, how I wish it would. Or how I wish I could make it do so.

It's the small things man makes it all worth it. Knowing ya fought the battle had some laughs. Some hardships sure... but that's it man it's a battle sometimes it's harder for others. But if I can help save lives, build people up, make people happy, animals too anything man I'll help whatever. I'll go through as much pain as I can bear to do that.

Well if a recent study that I've heard quoted a couple of times is to be believed, you're meant to be the happiest with life in your late 60's early 70’s. I've still got a while to get there, but I'm hoping they're right

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Oh I so relate Barb. Things I thought would be, will never be.

I have been pondering the future lately. I just turned 58. Well come to think of it that thought should go into Faith forum later.

Anyway, yes, my planner is full of doctor appts. Thats what I do now it seems. Go to doctors. Hoping for a respite after my yearly with my GP next Monday, but you know that means a mammo and bone density and blood work, so woohoo more medical appts. It does suck. I have a planner now to keep up with all those appts and of course tracking the poo movements. It seems so depressing that I have to do that so I know when I have to take laxatives (sorry if TMI). But honestly I hate it. And I'm with you, if this is what I've to look forward to whats the point.

But big hugs Barb, you are an amazing person and you have brought me many good times in the years (its been 3?) that I've known you. Maybe thats not a big thing but you have influenced my life.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Sorry to hear you are going through so much Angie. Life certainly is not fair. I have grown to detest doctors. Am not at all sure that they help that much. Hate technology even more. This computer is driving me nuts. And Apple wants me to have a smart phone to be able to get any help. I am to DUMB for a SMART phone. Will probably have to drive 15 miles to the computer store on Saturday to set up and pay for some training that I won't even be able to begin that day. Almost wish I had never gotten one. They are not made for the feeble minded. I FRIGGIN HATE TECHNOLOGY!!!!
Wish I could just dump the whole damn thing.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Odd coincidence that you are phone frustrated. I just put mine in the other room on time out (charging) as I was frustrated with it.

Sorry Apple is giving you grief.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I finally cancelled my land line. Hope I don't regret it. Customer service to do was horrible. Will go to an Apple workshop on Saturday. Hopefully it will help with my MacBook. Am too old for this crap.

It doesn't seem that long ago l used to wish l would win the lottery, now at almost 63, l just wish for health and pain free days to be able to do whatever l want. You are obviously in a bad place at the moment silly bear, l hope things get better for you soon.

Boy, I finally scrolled down far enough to find this. Next month I will be 64 1/2 and start the process of filing for Medicare. Oh joy. Never thought I would ever have to actually face things like that. I hate it! I'm still young inside my head, but looking in the mirror states otherwise. I really feel like I missed out on a bunch of life. Last night I was laying in bed staring at the ceiling, sleepless, and thinking I don't really at this point care if I live or die. If I get some catastrophic illness, I figure I will just preempt the sick part of it and go on my own terms. How did life get to that point? When the drunk wife is finally gone from my life, any chance of love will also, so what's the point? I guess do what I can while I still can.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
Boy, I finally scrolled down far enough to find this. Next month I will be 64 1/2 and start the process of filing for Medicare. Oh joy. Never thought I would ever have to actually face things like that. I hate it! I'm still young inside my head, but looking in the mirror states otherwise. I really feel like I missed out on a bunch of life. Last night I was laying in bed staring at the ceiling, sleepless, and thinking I don't really at this point care if I live or die. If I get some catastrophic illness, I figure I will just preempt the sick part of it and go on my own terms. How did life get to that point? When the drunk wife is finally gone from my life, any chance of love will also, so what's the point? I guess do what I can while I still can.
I am not sure why you imagine that any chance of love will disappear from your life - you are a kind, smart funny man. There are lots of women looking for kind, smart, funny men. I don't think that there are any fewer who would be grateful of love with such a man at 60 or 65 or 70 etc than 40 or 50. I don't think that you have to give up on love or having a future.

Thank you for that, @Freya
It's partly looking in the mirror, partly knowing what I want is most likely unrealistic, and partly experience. And I suppose throw in a heaping spoonful of depression. I remember at 19 thinking 60 was over the hill and here I am at 64 wondering if maybe I had a point there.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Medicare Part A is free. Part B is not. Part B is required. I am using my employers insurance as Part B. Then there are Parts C and D. They will cover what A and B do not. Like dental, vision and prescription. Only Part A is free. And, as I understand it, Part A only covers hospital expenses. Guess I will be finding out about that for sure soon. It is all very confusing. Our lovely government likes to make things confusing for us old goats who are not as sharp as we once were anyway.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00