On Getting Old

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
To my relief, this year's Christmas season has not depressed me as it usually does. This Xmas, the worst I've experienced so far is just dejection, which is mild compared to general depression. As you can see I use the specific word "dejection" because there are different degrees of the blues. My point is that in describing one's emotions, it's important that we be as specific as possible.

Although I am basically Buddhist, I occasionally attend Christian services too, because they have constructive things to offer too. The only time I have issues is when some Christians insist that their way is the only way -- in other words, religious bigotry. But then there are also compassionate Christians such as Presbyterians who respect Buddhism. This is what I am-- I love both religions.

What Buddhism has taught me is the acceptance of pain, facing the fact that pain is part of everybody's reality. Once I accepted that reality, then it became easier.
No, I'm not happy-- but I'm not suicidal either. Instead, I have peace of mind, serenity. This is what Buddhism teaches and what I practice.

Winslow

SF Supporter
Now in my 60s, I see the blessings and advantages of my age. For one, it's my finances with which I'm very secure, thanks to Social Security. That's what myself at my age has the advantage over the Young. The trade-off is my health. Whereas the Young have the advantage of health, I myself struggle with a host of health issues. Is there a trade-off? Maybe, but I think that money problems are much tougher than health. In fact, I think money problems are the toughest of all. I'm blessed that money is not an issue at all in my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a millionaire at all, but I'm quite blessed.

Jasonpi

GREAT POSTS FROM **EVERYONE** HERE, THANK YOU (SORRY FOR CAPS - DOCS CAN'T EYESIGHT ANY BETTER) ..

OLD SAYING * TAKE WHAT YOU NEED AND LEAVE THE REST* BUT SINCE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I NEED I'LL TAKE IT ALL. I GUARANTEE THAT I'VE EITHER BEEN WHERE EVERYBODY HAS DISCUSSED AND I KNOW I'LL BE WHERE I HAVE'NT. SO THANK ALL ..

I THINK IVE READ THAT STUDY SO AT ONLY 62 AM GOING THE *HOPE* DIRECTION THOUGH I DON'T FEEL IT, SO THANK YOU, ESPECIALLY BEAR, we are very much alike

YES, THE DOC VISTS ARE GETTING FREQUENT, THE TREATMENT IS GETTING MORE INTENSE, Im very lucky to have an understanding wife and she says the same amout me..

BUT THE HOUR GLASS IS STEADILY MOVING ALONG AND THERE'S NO STOPPING IT. ESPECIALLY THANKS TO THE STAFF MEMBER THAT GAVE ME THE URL TO THIS PORTION. I'M NEW SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR NOT KNOWING NAMES YET. SHE WAS MOST KIND AND CONSIDERATE ....

BEST

JASON

Winslow

SF Supporter
Very lucky today, very gleeful as I spend my New Year's Eve. How it has turned out is amazing, maybe even miraculous. Sometimes even the small things can make someone rejoice. In my case, the seemingly small thing is just having a root canal done. Having lost most of my side-teeth, the chewing teeth, I was going to lose the remaining ones so I would become unable to chew, thereby having to eat only pureed-type food. After all, my insurance does not include dentures so they would be unaffordable if out-of-pocket cost. But much to my surprise the root canal treatments saved those teeth. It's because it took me so much by surprise that it made me rejoice. So sometimes a small thing can be a big thing as I gleefully spend my New Year's Eve.

Alwayswrong

I know this thread's last post is from August. But I started reading it and it was so interesting!!!
I saw the film, SillyOldBear. In spanish it has a much suggestive title: " when Destiny gets us". I think the time will come. It's around the corner. You can hear that the world population is getting old and that the working class is not big enough to pay for the old generations...

Winslow

SF Supporter
Surprisingly and contrary to most of the views in this thread, the current surveys show that people over 60 are the happiest. Mostly it's due to their Financial Security so they don't have to worry. Of course those in our age group have health problems usually worse than the young ones but the Smart seniors keep their general health under control.
Again these are the results from current surveys of the various age groups, and the results clearly show that those over 60 are the happiest.

Jasonpi

Lol. Yes maybe in Hawaii, sounds awesome to live there. But I come to this SF for help. Truly im happy other seniors are doing great. Ive read the same stats…

Jason

Alwayswrong

This is interesting. I think that all ages have their pros and cons. And both depend on the part of the planet you're in. I can't say a country because even in the same country differences csn be surprising.
I can only speak about my country, Argentina. Here seniors are considered unproductive and a waste of money. You contribute to a national fund during your working years. But it has been used for many other corrupt things and it's almost in default. The same happens with senior health care. There are strikes for indefinite lapse time and again because the health services are given but the State doesn't pay. The debt is huge.
So we have a deficient health care service and we are paid - the minimum, if you were an independent professional - 7400 pesos. But the cost of living (without considering meals, hygiene or luxuries (like cinema, etc), is 15000 pesos. Rents are about 5000 (one room apt). And nursing homes - hell on Earth - are 25000 (the cheapest), or the statal ones... (and they take your house in exchange and rent it). As you can figure out, old folks here can't warm up their houses, can't have a good health care, can't eat healthy. In my case, for being a new retired outcast, I'm moving. I've got to sell my house for less price to leave in less than a month, or I'll be in default...
I've tried to convince my peers to rebel, for example, going on strike about looking after their grandchildren while their parents work. That way, they would have to pay for a nanny and would see how much we should be paid. Because here every union asks raises for themselves and it seems everybody was born out of a pumpkin! But they answer they have already livrd their lives... GRRR!!!
So, while it's true you have the time for yourself to enjoy and do all you wish (for instance, I started Physics at Uni), you have to be able to survive too (I can't even buy photocopies. I take pictures of the exercise guides with my cell phone...
Sorry... you've put your finger in my wound, hahaha!!!

Aprilflowers7

I used to know someone named Jason. I do not talk to him anymore, and it's funny because my username on myspace used to have the word "pi" on it and I can recite many numbers of "pi."
Anyway, I feel old even though I am only 35; I had open heart surgery when I was one and have to be poor my whole life just to keep Medicaid. When I go to the dentist, I have to take a pill for bacterial endocarditis which means I could die after a trip to the dentist if I do not take the pill. I hate Medicaid but it's what I have to have. I would probably never make enough money to cover all my surgeries I might need.

Alwayswrong

We love you, dear @Aprilflowers7, and need you here with us. You have shown yourself for nothing less than 34 years that you are strong. You are a WINNER every single day of your life, and you are an example for those, like me, who are weak because life has been generous. I always say I drown in a half-full thimble.

Alwayswrong

I'm poor too right now, not as in your case, for something you didn't dobut for my own lack of skill and weakness. This is the reason I found SF in the first place, and why I chose my nickname.
When you've had a mild life, you become gullible. Chinese say that being gullible is the worst disaster; and it's true.
But there is always an unconquered place where we can be how and whatever we want: our minds.
I can't grab anything from my past to 'use' now. I have lo live now with myself and my current sitation. Then, who is welthy now? YOU ARE, my friend, because you are a survivor and a warrior. And nobody can take this away from you.

Aprilflowers7

That's true, thank you! Well it is still partially my fault because I could get this hearing implant but I don't want it right now because it could cause a lot of pain and my caseworker said it is better to get it at an earlier age but what if it doesn't work? It is kind of a new hearing implant different from the cochlear for people who can actually hear. If I could hear better, I would at least have a job maybe although I don't know for sure because I had only two interviews my entire lifetime so far.

Winslow

SF Supporter
Got my blood test results today at the doctor's office. Blood pressure good and glucose level good at 5.7. I asked him what level would diabetes be at, and he said 6.5. So my level at 5.7 is well within the safety zone.
His only criticism was that I'm Underweight. So I guess I went overboard with my vegetarian diet. To make me gain weight, he advised me to eat some meat. But I don't think so, as I've been a hardcore vegetarian for many years.

Got my blood test results today at the doctor's office. Blood pressure good and glucose level good at 5.7. I asked him what level would diabetes be at, and he said 6.5. So my level at 5.7 is well within the safety zone.
His only criticism was that I'm Underweight. So I guess I went overboard with my vegetarian diet. To make me gain weight, he advised me to eat some meat. But I don't think so, as I've been a hardcore vegetarian for many years.
Hi, so glad the results came back good. Did the doctor suggest anything for weight gain other than meat! I too am a vegetarian - a slim one - I guess it’s biscuits and wine! Take care, Winslow xx

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00