On Indecision and Being Wrong

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Just another plug-in from my blog. I wanted everyone's opinions on it though: are pride and ego one of the biggest detriments to progress and enlightenment?

2. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

It's not always a matter of pride. Often there is the issue of indecisiveness being interpreted as a sign of weakness. The mythical ideal society holds us all to is a sure thinking confidently forward striding state of mind, always right, always forging ahead without hesitation or doubt. In that sense there is a reluctance to reconsider or hesitate out of self preservation, especially on the part of people in positions of power or influence.

3. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I have serval thoughts on this but not enough time and i'm tired as hell right now but I will say this and then come back for more later... we all innately have cognitive biases such as confirmation biases, which could be construed as being pride or ego because we filter information based on our preconceptions. If it confirms our original viewpoint then we usually accept it more willingly. If it doesn't then we usually discard it or fine fault in it for some reason. We create a bubble that is hard to burst, and change only comes when you break through the biases and can no longer justify holding a belief. I find that this takes either lots of time and a willingness for learning the truth or a preponderance of evidence to the contrary that is irreconcilable to the original viewpoint. How open one is to admitting ones viewpoint is wrong maybe where pride and ego comes in. I know i have not admitted I was wrong in arguments in the past, even though I knew I was wrong, and its was usually because i was angry at the other person or some other petty reason. I would eventually accept I was wrong and change my viewpoint tho, but only after I had calmed down and no longer emotional.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

No. Greed is.

5. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

That's a good point, and I appreciate your input. I didn't mean to infer it's all a matter of pride. I've just interpreted to be one of the more prevalent reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.