On-Line Shopping

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

On-Line shopping is killing high street retail outlets - some people are going into shops/stores/malls and browsing items they wish to buy then they leave the shop/store/mall without buying anything & buy online

This is a death knoll for the high street shop/store/mall

So the question is...........

Do you buy online or in a real walk in shop/store?

For me I browse online then go out & buy the item from a 'proper' shop

2. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

groceries , clothing, high end electric gadgets for my home theater totality I do local stores.. the dvds, the specialty items I do amazon.. they got everything and have a habit of suggesting the addon's I may have missed.. price is less online and can shop from the kitchen table at my own speed.. plus love the UPS and FedEx drivers at my front door... on schedule too most times..

twocky you are right a lot of the retail stores in the community are already biting the bullet on the way to extinction..

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I usually just buy things at the store. I only buy online occasionally because it can get expensive.

4. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I do my groceries online with the supermarkets that deliver, as I do not have my own transport, and a child making doing the shopping in store a bit impossible, I also buy things (like jewellery making supplies) online as there are no stores that offer the kind of items I am looking for

5. vesuvius

vesuvius Member

I buy everything possible online. Partly because social anxiety, but mostly because I'm a poor student so I try to save as much money as possible.
    What I do buy offline, I try to buy from locally-owned stores rather than chains, but I will buy from chains if there is a significant price difference.
    But I don't completely agree with the idea that online shopping is killing local economy - just that our society is evolving at a great speed with technology, and they need to adapt if they want to survive. I see many innovative ways that businesses use social media and the internet to get customers to shop with them, and many of them are thriving. I know that I have spent money in stores that I wouldn't have known even existed without social media, or have been convinced to buy something from them because of a deal I saw online, or whatever.

6. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I buy nearly everything online. I even get the majority of grocery stuff online now- fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, and bread is all I buy at the grocery stores now, and that I get more at farmers markets than groceries stores whenever I can. For all electronics and household things I shop online as it is impossible for me to find the stuff at similar price local - even walmart is cheaper online than in the store (yes, go to walmart.com and look at prices and then in the store- video games are $5 - $10 cheaper if you buy it online at walmart.com and then just drive to the store to pick it up). When all the stores charge lower prices online than even in their own retail stores and have online only specials I see not reason in the world to go into the store. In addition, online it is very easy to comparison shop and not get sucked into or sold something different - you can easily research reviews from different sites unlike a store. Lastly, the return policy is better online than most retail stores - typically you do not even need a reason - you simply get the RMA and print out a shipping label from the store and UPS or Fedex stops by my house and picks it up. I save time, money, gas money for driving, and my impulsive purchases are at least well researched for price and value.

The only thing I can recall for an in store purchase in the last year is a dishwasher and that is simply because with a built in dishwasher I wanted to have the opportunity to measure it myself rather than to try to figure out which dimensions they were using online, and then I still had to argue with Lowe's but managed to get them to match their online only price when I had my wife get out her phone to order it online and pick up in store right then rather than allow the salesperson to ring me up for $40 more. While you always have to calculate shipping in, getting free shipping codes from most stores is as easy as a 15 second google search.

I no longer feel at all guilty about putting stores out of business or losing jobs - it is my money - i need to be careful how I spend it to get the most possible for it. Since the people working in the stores all have pissy attitudes that for $8 and hour they don't care about customer service, I do not care about them either. 25 years ago when I went into a store, I got actual customer service - that has pretty much disappeared in any case due to the lousy attitudes (and they have always been minimum wage or near to it jobs - just now the employees seem to think they should be getting paid much more and not have to answer a question or even know what aisle something is in) of the employees. The mall is impossible - you are lucky to get the 3 people working to stop gossiping behind the counter long enough to ask a question, much less wait on you in any of the clothing stores. I personally look forward to the day when all the strip malls are vacated and turned into parks and nature preserves so they actually are a benefit to the community ....

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am so old fashion i have bought nothing on line i just don't trust i guess i buy everything after i look at it and try it on it is just part of the shopping experiance and it get me out of the house so i can be around people I don't think i will ever purchase online

8. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

Like you, I buy just about everything online these days. I feel it’s much kinder to the planet when one small van with one driver in one day makes maybe twenty deliveries. He drives from place to place, which in many cases are not very far apart. For example several people in my street shop that way. This in my view, is much more economical than twenty people getting into their cars, driving however many miles to the local supermarket to get what they want.

Although I have a valid driving licence, I gladly gave up driving many years ago. I never had been one of ‘nature’s own drivers’, who enjoys being in control of a two ton potential lethal killing instrument, especially not with the amount of traffic that is on the roads of the United Kingdom these days. When I want to go somewhere I get a taxi and feel good about it, as that earns someone a living. To me, getting my groceries – and whatever else I may need – delivered into the house, in the case of groceries into my kitchen by friendly and helpful drivers, who as time went by have become good friends. What more could anyone wish for?

9. soulreaper

soulreaper Well-Known Member

I just shop for cool stuff on the internet that you cannot find in stores. so not really stealing business, since they do not offer what I'm buy on the net. normal things like geoceries, art supplies, fishing gear, yugi-oh cards and just about everything else is store brought. The only things I buy online is cool stuff like speaciality clothing, piercings, and games.

10. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

It depends. I live in a country town. So I will browse online first then buy it from the store if I have the funds. Honestly; it's still cheaper to buy online to save gas etc. So I do both depending on the store, and sales etc.

11. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I agree. :)
    I would like to add that customer service jobs from home are picking up. At least in the USA. And if you are bilingual you are in even higher demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.