On thin ground

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by mortdesinos, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

I am so lost careerwise and relationshipwise.

I want to help people, I really do, and I think of doctors as potential healers and wish there were more caring mental health workers. But I don't know if I will be able to get through medical school, which would require me to be in school for 2.5 years before taking a gap year, and then going to medical school for roughly 8 years. In other words, I would need about 12 years before becoming a doctor, and I'm already 22. I am so lost as to what to do with my life.

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi. Medical school is really hard work and you have to be fully committed to it. That's why I became a teacher instead of a doctor. Just one year of teachers college after university. Good luck with your career choice. :hug:

3. ThinkingCap

ThinkingCap Well-Known Member

What are your other choices right now? Are there any other choices that you would rather? Maybe typing them out and looking at your options right in front of you can help with the confusion. I don't mean to derail your dreams of being a doctor, but if it's not what you're enjoying, then it'd be worth it to look at other avenues. There are so many ways to help people that doesn't include being a doctor-- think about all of the help that volunteers do, or that people on this site do. There are probably other ways to get into the mental health field that doesn't require med school, if that is something you don't want to do. Good people are needed everywhere in the system, it's just a matter of finding where you feel comfortable. Is there anyone you can talk to that is already a doctor, or on their way, or in the field, for direct advice? Maybe a bit of snooping around can expose other avenues.

Best of luck!
    --ThinkingCap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.