On toothaches and depression (cont.)

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ToHelp, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Well I draw correlations between certain events in my life see, and I know my pet benzo addiction can be overcome.

The depression and general lackng of contentment in my life? Not so sure. Have never weaned myself properly from antidepressants. I've had some incredibly tough goes in the past whipping alcohol and benzos, but as I have nonetheless accomplished it before, I know the routine. I know it can be done.

Now I would like to discuss iatrogenesis, the medical term given for any illness caused, prolonged, or aggravated by a treatment itself.

I don't want to commit suicide but GOD I am tired of being dependent on ADs. You don't KNOW how weary I am of the hamster-wheel analogy described below.

You know the stories and the statistics - right? Well they are striking. Ever since the era of the new class of ADs starting with Prozac in the 90s, treatment for depression just went through the ROOF, prompting many in the profession to raise eyebrows:

It was just too goddamned easy to get on these things, and once on them, people began to find it terribly hard or impossible to get off. The efforts to do so oftentimes resulted in a depression worse than ever before experienced.

And this, along with the scourge of addictions to Xanax, Klonopin, and similar, pretty much gave new rise to the general antipsychiatry movement in the eighties and nineties, as largely led by Drs. Peter Kramer and David Healy (British), as well as Professor Heather Ashton (well-known and also British).

The multi-billion dollar profit incentives have also of course been a source suspicion to anyone who knows anything of how Big-Pharma works.

But you know? Nevermind that--personally, I am so sick of the uncertainty over this shit. Are these drugs helping my depression, or helping maintain my dependence upon them?

I had an experience, just like I described above, 3 years ago of trying to come off Zoloft. And here was a very telling symptom amidst the entire ordeal: within six weeks after my last day, I found myself diving headlong into the deepest, blackest depression I had ever known prior. EVER.

Naturally I had to go straight back to it--like as not, my weaning off was far too fast (I think, about a six weeks). I may try again soon, but also resign myself to a year-long or longer process.

The mess of it? Even then, there is the chance I may never be able to get off this stuff. Some people aren't. I am confident that many here--not all members, but a good few--may harbor identical, nagging suspicions.

They know all too well that once you get on that fucking hamster wheel of "here let's try this" [six weeks later]... "no? hey! we'll try this!" it all becomes perturbing, disturbing, and to the thinking person, begins to produce a huge lack of faith that there may ever be an answer or solution within their lifetime.

2. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

anti-depressents are a load of crap, peace is something that has to come within our selves, I was able to experience it and it was amazing

The problem is we live in a cut throat world ruled by evil people who are controlled by the DOLLAR, they control us and want us to be miserable and give us all these drugs so we dont think

My problem is now I have some physical problems that will probably require me to take anti depressents and probably other drugs to keep me going in life

I really did find the meaning of life a few years ago, it is a peace that has to come within you when you try to be one with the earth and try to be a good person, this world is such fucking bullshit it is disgusitng, I am so angry this world got the best of me and now I am left in a world of shit
  3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

You know, only a few years ago I would have dismissed that statement? I'd have thought it paranoid-delusional.

But now I have SEEN with my own eyes (I'm sure I've said this several times here already), pharmaceutical representatives walking into the SAME waiting room as I am to push Glaxo-Smith Kline, Pfizer, or whomoever's gunk onto MY doctor -- who will then push it onto ME.

It is Fucked. Up.

"people who are controlled by the DOLLAR, they control us and want us to be miserable and give us all these drugs so we dont think"

And whether all that is their actually conscious intention or just the result of years of conditioning -- these drugs do exert a poweful mind-numbing effect in many different ways whether the patient is (or can be) aware of it or not.

The danger is ....where do you stop?? How can you know?

I know that depression in some people is very real and very life-threatening.

I'm really torn though about ME. This is raping my mind for all I know and creating its own need for it. THAT is truly toxic psychiatry.
  4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

My brother in law worked as a chemist for a pharmaceutical drug firm in San Fransisco. He quit, and refuses to take any over the counter medication if there's any possible alternative.

From the horses mouth, I have a healthy distrust of private companies that make money selling me medicine.
  5. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hey love that last sentence.

Especially detestable? Rx meds being pushed on my evening news. It borders on plain unethical because these pharmaceutical companies KNOW full well from precise sales stats that people ask for what they see. Has just always left a bitter taste in my mouth.
  6. wastedmylife

in 50 years when the truth comes out people are going to look at this era of drug companies controlling our lives with astonishment
  7. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

8. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

And appal.
  9. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

This is very true. Its like the mccarthyism era in the 50s. "Be wary of your neighbor they could be a ...COMMUNIST!!". Except this era is a little more frightening in my opinion.

I was on Anti-Depressants for quite a while, and feel they fucked me up. They seemed to help my mood, but in a synthetic way. My mood was a steady plateau the entire time i was on them. That to me wasnt life. I wasnt living happy, i wasnt living sad, i wasnt living feeling (make sense?). Anyway..i was young when i first started medications, and just feel violated that so little research was done before putting me on them. Hell i did more research than my parents and found out i could use some of my meds to get high. I stopped lexapro cold turkey and what followed was by far the worst two weeks of my entire life. I was NOT myself. I still dont know if ive fully overcome that time in my life, or if its even gotten worse.

What also angers me is all these war veterans are coming home. Guess who is getting rich off this war? Pharmicutical companies. All these young kids coming back fucked up in the head because of what they have been through...thats ok..just give them this pill. grrr.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008
  10. wastedmylife

yup. and interesting enough is if you look at the board members of alot of these major drug companies, you will find it stock with Republican politicians who wanted the wars and control our society anyway, check out some of the board members of Eli Lily http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Lilly_and_Company#Personnel , you will find it stock with a whos who of shady people in America including George Bush Sr. and Ken Lay as well as alot of other people from Reagans and Bush's adminstration who seemed to play a large role in the "corporatizing" of America

There is either a concerted effort to control us or people are really greey and selfish and dont care about anyone else, but I am thinking there is a concerted effort to control us especially when I look at some of these names behind the scenes

I am just pissed because I am not healthy and I wont be able to enjoy America and the world when it is a better place, and I am bitter because alot of these criminals who have power helped put me in the shape I am in and I am not sure what to do with that anger
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.