On Zoloft, is this how I supposed to be feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerSimpson

I have been taking zoloft for three months, and it has helped to a certain degree. Before I started my mind was always racing with worrying thoughts, always obsessing about how I was so depressed, constant worry and always wishing I was dead. Now it is like the thoughts are still there, but they are not as intense as they were before. I am not dwelling on them as I was before. BUT...........

I am still not happy, and a lot of times still miserable. I still have the negative outlook of always thinking the worse. Thinking nothing will ever matter that I will always be alone. So is this how the antidepressants work? My doctor told me when I started taking them that everything would seem "bright" and "open". That part has not happened yet. What are your experiences on antidepressants.

max0718

Hey Homer,

I was on a few meds a while back which included anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and some anxiety medications. I went through a few cocktails to finally arrive at something that worked for me.

The cocktail that eventually worked was Lexapro, Seroquel, Lamictin and some anxiety meds (Fluanxol and Urbanol if I remember correctly). My psychiatrist prescribed my initial feelings on the meds perfectly - he said it was like throwing a blanket over my brain. The "blanket" would act as a membrane letting certain thoughts through, but blocking others. Getting the dosage right was a pain, as I was either too negative or not feeling anything at all.

I didn't have the experience that everything seemed bright and open. The medications helped for sure, but it didn't magically stop the negative thoughts from occurring and it certainly didn't fix all my problems. I certainly didn't walk away with the impression that anti-depressants were "happy pills". But then again, everyone reacts differently.

But it looks like the meds are working for you at the moment. At the very least you said you're not dwelling on the negative thoughts, which in itself is a huge accomplishment! At least for me it was.

Awesome username btw! :D

All the best!

Max

Datura

The majority of people on antidepressants don't get much relief, if any. Here is an article pertaining to the subject.

Here are a couple sites which explain how diet can alter your mood and/or cause depression:

Why Does A Depression Diet Affect Mood?
Depression: A Nutritional Disorder

Exercise is beneficial as well.

As for your doctor - he/she is being silly. There are no guarantees that antidepressants will work, and telling you that is irresponsible.

My experience: sometimes the depression subsides, but to say that a medication will ever make me happy is a joke.

Bob26003

I am on zoloft also, have been for a few years, and yes it pretty much just makes it milder........ more tolerable.

But by no means a cure or fix all........

makes me less emotional

shades

Staff Alumni
Also, many people have to try several different anti-depressants and often find that one works better than others. Usually the md or pdoc will wean you off of one slowly and start you on a new one.

Just keep the doc. informed and maybe they will try another type.

Glad to hear you've gotten some relief though!

Mike

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
yeh zoloft just took edge off my anxiety so i could think better not as sad. I think taking it help me cope better in therapy so i was not falling apart. Definietly talk with doctor though maybe can up you dose or add something with it. Glad it has helped a bit though

HomerSimpson

max0718, the "blanket" example is exactly how it seems to be working for me. It seems to filter some thoughts, but not all. The ones that do get through are just not as intense. I dont know, I just wish there was a cure or like Bob26003 said a "fix all".

max0718

max0718, the "blanket" example is exactly how it seems to be working for me. It seems to filter some thoughts, but not all. The ones that do get through are just not as intense. I dont know, I just wish there was a cure or like Bob26003 said a "fix all".
Yeah, that would be great! Or at least something that actually works without any side-effects would be nice. You would think that's not asking for too much... :biggrin:

But I must say the advances that psychiatry has made in the last 10 or 20 years has been amazing, so hopefully the treatments will just keep getting better in the future.

Are you in therapy as well?

Little_me

I've been on Zoloft for 1 1/2 year and my experiences are similar to yours, Homer. Your life will not turn over in an instant just because of those white pills, it won't. Some docs believe that though, apparently... General docs (those who take care of patients with milder symptoms) in particular.
Moderate and severe depressions is different from mild ones, as they are worse and more difficult to treat when they often include suicidal tendencies.

Zoloft and other antidepressants won't heal your soul, they won't make you happy artificially (to call them "happy pills" is very misleading), but they make life more bearable- a little easier to deal with. That's simply how it is...
It took me 4 months to get all the benefits from the medication, as it's a quite slow process. A lot better than nothing, though. Thanks to Zoloft, I'm alive- I wouldn't have survived the deepest hell, about one year ago, without it. I'm sure about that, as I didn't response to therapy at all during that period. I just wanted to die, die and die.

You should consider psychotherapy, like CBT, as well. Have it! Therapy and medication combined gives the best results in the long term.

It will get better! I'm better now than 1 1/2 year ago... I'm still suicidal and depressed, but I've made some progress. I go to school nowadays... That wasn't possible before- at all. I isolated myself in my room crying, I hardly left the house before I got treatment. I have less social anxiety as well.

Stay well, hang in there Homer! Never lose hope, it might turn around at any time.
:cuddle2:

HomerSimpson

I was in therapy, and it did help but than again it did not help. It helped me to an certain extent get to some of the roots of my depression, but a lot of stuff the counselor said I just did not agree with.

She told me several times that the only way I am going to be "healed" is to start going to church and put God in my life. I would tell her I believe in God, but I believe that you do not have to go to church, because I do not belive in the whole organized religion thing. She would tell me I was wrong that you must go to church.

Another thing is several times I went I would show up, and she would have completely forgotten that I even had an appointment. Also, I woud more a less tell her the same thing week after week simply because she could never remember what I did tell her. She just wasnt all that good.

max0718

Hey Homer,

Yeah, it's a tricky thing to find a therapist that you're comfortable with or that you can share comfortably with. You have to find someone who won't be judgmental and won't force you to do something against your will. She has no right to force her beliefs onto you, especially in a therapy session. But I can assure you, not all therapists are like that. Maybe you should consider searching for a new therapist and get back into therapy. As you said the therapy helps to get to the root of the problem, and combined with the right medication can be very effective.

Hope you're doing better. Take care!

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00