Once you become suicidal does it ever go away?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by DannyBoy, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

I feel very hopeless and helpless. I'm in a bad situation that I don't think I'm going to get out of.

I take meds but they help for short periods before they stop working.

Has anyone ever been suicidal and then gotten over it? Or is it something that sticks with us for life?
  2. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I've gotten over being suicidal. I think I'm more open to the idea that some vestiges of depression stay forever, although I hope I'm wrong. Suicide though can definitely be beaten.
  3. DannyBoy

That's nice to know, but it feels like the older I get the worse my depression and suicidal feelings are getting.

So in my head it feels like it's just going to get worse why stick around?
  4. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

How old are you and how long have you felt like this?

Why stick around? Because once you realise that it's better to live and work through the lows - so many things are opened back up to you.
  5. DannyBoy

I'm 28 years old, currently unemployed and living at home I was working up until 2 months ago when I became suicidal and just didn't have the energy for anything. My problems are pretty obvious, but fixing them hasn't been so easy for me.

The hardest part is loss of social contact. My friends don't go out much anymore and I'm pretty much isolated all the time with just my parents to talk to and the internet...It's sad I know and it's fueling the situation.

My meds are beginning to stop working or my depression is overtaking them. The meds I take are the only happiness I get all day now. It's pathetic, but it's where things stand.

I just don't know what to do anymore ya know? I sometimes think I'd be best taking a lot more ativan to kill the pain and worry, but I know that might make things worse in the long run.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
  6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If your meds are not working well, please speak to your doctor...s/he might chose to change them or add another to increase their function...J
  7. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

Being suicidal comes and goes for me....but I always seem to have self-harm thoughts...
  8. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

I had suicidal thoughts when i was 7, i jumped in front of a car back then but i survived with a few scratches, i've always had the tendency to be depressed.
    I'm 32 now and i've been schizophrenic/paranoid for 3 years now.
    I think you can overcome suicidal feelings it's not impossible, but mental health is another case.
    Once you take meds you're in a vicious circle, mental health is a delicate thing.
  9. Bellababe

Bellababe New Member

In all honesty........No it doesn't it will always be with you you just need to find a way to manage it, sorry
  10. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I only saw the post above mine, and all I have to say is that's completely wrong. Just because one hasn't overcome it yet, it doesn't not mean it can't ever go. I've overcome it before, so I know the feeling can go away, and the fact that people have left this site because they're happy now, and don't need it, is again, evidence that you can overcome it.

So in lame terms, yes, that suicidal feeling can go away. Just keep taking each day as it comes and you WILL get there. My PM box is always open.
  11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree with the other poster.. Your suicidal thoughts will always be there but you can learn to control them...My therapist told me just about everyone thinks about it once in a while..I've been suicidal since I was thirteen and did my first attempt..I'm fifty three now and had two more attempts since then..Now I won't try it again unless something really drags me down..
  12. Maxii..

Maxii.. Well-Known Member

it comes and goes for me. but i know it's there, i know it'll come back. can't really answer thou, im only 19 years old--
  13. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

for me it def. went away.. i had 10 good years where i didn't think of suicide once. the past few years have been hard again. it goes in cycles. up and down.
  14. pileofgarbage

pileofgarbage Member

People like us will always be suicidal. But that doesn't mean we can't live a long and pointless life anyway.
  15. I think that 'being suicidal' can go away, for some people.
    With a combination of therapy and the right medication.
    But I also believe that some people cannot be healed
    unless you would cut out a part of their body,
    the part that contains 'feelings'.
  16. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

It depends on the individual. For some, the emotion stays--for others, it fades away. There's No one-size-fits-all. In my case, although the suicidal thoughts are under control, but they always remain there in the back of the mind.

The only danger is when the desire to do suicide is imminent, meaning when you have planned the method and the exact time. The main deterrent against the suicide is the fear that it might backfire and make me a mental vegetable or make my body paralyzed, which of course would make me even worse than I am now.
  17. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

This is exactly, exactly, exactly how i feel (I'm 24 now)
  18. steveoh

steveoh Active Member

meds are the worst, its the same thing as getting addicted to heroin, the pain will never go away with help of a temporary source
  19. BornAgain

BornAgain Well-Known Member

I stopped being suicidal right after I tried it, not even the slightest thought about it, not even reading the posts here, the reason why I am here is because I want to give my support to anyone that is going through those heart breaking moments and hopefully to make others realize it is not worth it, there is not a logical or medical reason for me to have been out of the mess without any serious irreversible damage and without depression and I have promised God I will try to help whoever needs help.

It is possible to stop having suicidal thoughts, but you have to take very good care of yourself, the main thing I've seen that makes your thoughts switch is staying away from negative people....
  20. lilmegt1

lilmegt1 Member

I have had two previous suicide attempts and i am still feeling suicidal, the feeling went away for a while, now its back ):
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.