One more question.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xistence, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

Is suicide a choice, or the consequence of a broken mind?

2. Robin

Robin Guest

Life's all about choices, I'd rather have them than none, hence the option was never there for me to begin with.

3. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

As Robin said, life is full of choices and suicide is just one of them..
    how the mind see's these choices at the time of utmost despair dictates which choice is made.

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I see suicide as a choice. You can be a schollar or a homeless person, The coice to live or die is ultimatley yours.

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

:agreed: It is a choice.

6. HexenBexen

HexenBexen Well-Known Member

I think it's a choice. I don't think a broken mind necessarily deserves consequences.

7. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

It could be either. But if it's the result of a broken mind, chances are that person still chose to commit it :unsure:

8. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

I might be confused, but I'm pretty sure people decide to commit suicide.

It's not like "her mind was broken and she 'caught the suicide'!"

Nah. It's a choice. If you're hungry and you eat, it was a choice to eat. If you're spiritless and troubled and you commit suicide, the same concept applies, really. :unsure:

Sure, desolation might help inch one to the point of taking his own life, but it's still ultimately in his hands.

9. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

I think its a bit of both. I think suicide is a choice, but that choice is driven by a broken mind. I think normally when someone becomes suicidal, all logic goes out the window and choices are made on the wrong perceptions, rather than on sound judgement. It's like making a mistake that you won't have the chance to correct..

10. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I think suicide is a choice, but I also think that certain people might be predisposed to it.

11. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain

12. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Maybe both, but i would say, consequence of a broken life.

13. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

My observation is that suicide is a choice made when a person is not rational, not able to make a sound decision.

14. music_addict

music_addict Well-Known Member

I have to completely disagree.

For example, what about the person with such crippling bone marrow cancer that the simple act of walking causes their shin bones to splinter and their ankles to snap. If they choose to end their life prematurely to escape the agonizing pain and inablitiy to enjoy even lifes most simple pleasures, could you truly call that an irrational decision? a decision made from an unsound mind? I think not.

Or what of Thích Quảng Đức the buddhist monk who set himself on fire to his death in protest of the south vietnamese's persecution of buddhists at the time. He was a completely rational individual, but he realized that the only way to garter attention for the plight of his buddhist countrymen something extreme had to occur. he simply had the mental and physical strength to carry out what he knew would gain attention.
    and to call him irrational or not of a sane mind, well frankly, is like a slap to the face.
    o
    anyway, i digress, i think you get the point im trying to get across here. bleh, im tired.

15. isoko49

isoko49 Member

Suicide is a choice - you choose whether to take the pills or not, whether to jump or not etc. But that choice isn't black & white because the mind IS broken. It's like a faulty connection somewhere in a computer - sends the wrong information to the wrong place and you get something going wrong. I know that every day I face the choice of killing myself or not and part of my brain is saying don't do it stupid.....and the broken part of it is saying do it, there's nothing wrong with it. It would drive me crazy if I weren't crazy already.

16. Gunner

Gunner New Member

With all respect to the victims of 9/11.
    In a suicidal mind, it is not unlike those who chose to jump from the towers.
    They could have chose not to, but the severe pain and suffering would have been too great. Their choice was to jump. We cannot presume to know what a suicidal person lives with on a daily basis. In their mind it may be better to take their own life than to remain and suffer. Still, it is a choice.

17. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

good answer. gold star for dave :biggrin:

18. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

those are technically 2 different questions. question 1. Yes, it is a choice.

second question, I'll have to paraphrase with some artistic licsense...

a broken mind, if it's really broken, may not alert one or prevent one
    from making the above mentioned CORRECT choice. that being, the drastic
    solution. so, that's something to consider.

as dave said, some people are predisposed to IT (suicide) more than others.

I think I would say it more like..Some people are more predisposed to see
    suicide as a viable choice than others. kinda scary.

if a given person is at the point that ending it all really makes sense,
    they should get someone to help them. and if a person feels their
    sanity or last shreds of rationality slipping away, then again, they need
    someone to help them not make irreversable decisions or choices.

19. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

not the greatest analogy actually. people jump from burning buildings
    and sinking ships because they MIGHT survive the fall. whereas, they AINT
    gonna survive the building or the ship.

20. Actually, I think logic comes IN the window - and a mind has been awakened - NOT broken! Tested, yes -- and with a reasonable, realistic outcome few are ready and willing to embrace. Life is fucked - full of penultimate and perpetual cruelty - and so long as we pretend otherwise - the choice NOT to suicide is a delerious delusion... :dry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.