One more thing...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Dhanjot, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhanjot

Dhanjot Well-Known Member

I really HATE how all the suicide hotline people, samaritans, therapists, etc. insist that everybody who's contemplating suicide is doing so purely for emotional reasons - that therapy, meds, the hospital or whatever is the solution for everybody no matter what. What I hate about it is that even if you explain in a rational, level-headed way that it's not that at all, those stupid simpletons basically tell you to shut up and fuck off.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have never had anyone say that to me hun I have found the samaritans so helpful in my time of crisis Not saying all are good but most of the crisis people i talk to listened and cared
    What is it you would have them say hun I think if they said what you said the said they would not last long in their position

3. Dhanjot

Well, they didn't say it in those words, they said they couldn't help and that they had other callers waiting.

4. total eclipse

I am so sorry they said that to you hun No very professional at all. There is always the few hun that are not compassionate i hope you try again and hopefully next time you get someone that will truly listen hugs

5. exkend

exkend Well-Known Member

I agree, the samaritans are of no real use. They are simple people who "try" to help, which is noble and praiseworthy in it's limited way. I understand it's better then nothing, but real help is only found from having a supportive and loving social life, a sense of purpose and being a healthy part of society. Having some well meaning but ignorant person tell you they "understand" and are "sorry" is of no real use. I guess that's why medication is rampant for dealing with psychological pain.

6. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have never talked to these people because I assumed this was how things work. I doubt anyone of them could give me a compelling reason to keep going on.

7. Dhanjot

My trouble is, Total Eclipse, is that there's absolutely no agenda NEUTRAL type of help out there. There's the pro-suicide sites which are all basically comedy sites, and at the other end, there are the anti-choice sites like this one which insist that therapy, sympathy and "talking about it" are the solution to everything. They're not. That's why I'm so angry at the moment. There's simply nowhere to turn to, and believe me, I've looked and looked. So it's like I'll have to go ahead entirely on my own and keep quiet about everything. It just doesn't seem right, or fair.

8. total eclipse

I don't know hun what is neutral to you My self just having someone listened help me in that i did not feel so isolated and alone I guess it help me to not leave in a way
    I know they don't understand our pain hun not unless they have felt it. I can tell the ones that truly do care. I wish there was a place for you hun Just know you can pm me if you want

9. Dhanjot

By neutral I mean that the site or hotline doesn't have fixed bias towards everyone's issues and what they should do to solve their problems.

10. Dhanjot

It just seems so unfair that a convicted murderer on death rown get's to go peacefully and painlessly with family around while a law abiding citizen has no other choice but a violent, excrutiatingly painful death all alone.

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Dhanjot, I can see your anger and frustration, but sometimes you just have to leave these things go...If calling hotlines or the such doesn't help. Don't do it. What I am wondering though is, what has caused you to feel suicidal in the first place?

Also you mentioned something about them solving your problems. They are not trained to do that, the samaritans are a listening service only.

12. Wispiwill

Wispiwill Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I've tried to find a pro-choice site but haven't.

13. Dhanjot

@CocaCola - What's caused me to feel suicidal in the first place is being unemployed for over two years. I've been bleeding financially the whole time and I'm nearly out of blood. It aggravates me because nobody seems to understand that therapy or going to a hospital can only make things worse. All I'm really asking these hotlines and sites for is help with a few minor last minute tasks. But no, that's totally unreasonable.

14. bottleneck

bottleneck Member

I totally get what you mean.

I've been given some really shitty advice from people who mean well because they don't understand. They think they can give you simple adivice and have it work - like they're going to tell you something you never thought of already.

While not financially conducive, and you haven't already tried it - I would recommend a stay in the hospital if you can work out the economic aspect of it - they might be able to get you working with a social worker who can help you find the resources you need to work our your financial situation.

15. Dhanjot

Thanks Bottleneck, I really have no way of working out the financial aspect of a hospital stay though.

All I really want it this point is to have somebody explain, prepare and support my daughter about this. She won't even talk to me anymore. Which, by the way, could that be taken as a green light? I'm not sure if I even care about her anymore, or if it even matters...

16. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

At least the Samaritans show some interest. I am sorry, but I have found the Samaritans, for the most pretty okay. Recently, I called a crisis line here in the U.S. and all I aid was I was going hurting in the middle of the night. She responded by saying to call back in the morning when her manager is around. I wasn't trying to abuse the line but this is what i got. Sorry if I didn't explain my problem more better.

17. Lars

Lars Member

What do you expect? Those people you call don't know you, if you tell somebody you are suicidal they think mental illness. How do you fix a mental disability? Well proscribe them some wellbutrin and they will be alright.

You need to talk to a close family member to steer you on the right course. If you talk to pill pushers they will push you pills, if you talk with a loved one they will look out for you. If you don't have a loved one, talk to a counselor. But tell them that you are having a bad day and want somebody to talk with. If you tell them you are at your end and want to die, they will think you have lost your mind and will try to get you medicated. Good Luck

Lawrence.

18. Kelpiedog

Kelpiedog New Member

I come from the other side of the fence, so I thought. If you are considering suicide can you please spare a thought and how your actions impact on those you leave behind.It may be the case you dont care about family or friends, that's fine. But in my case I didnt even know the person who ended his life by jumping in front of my truck. This occured 16 months ago, I have not worked since, as a result of not working have lost everything I owned and now struggle to buy the medications the Doctor has put me on, I see a psycoligist one a week, he feels we have a long way to go They say I suffer now from Post traumatic stress disorder.Before this incicdent I was a happy go lucky bloke it is my Birthday today ( thank you for the best wishes sent by forum moderator). I have been unable to join in festivities as I just hate being around people and cranky all the time.

This incident will be the finacial ruin of me and for what? There are plenty of help lines for those who feel like commiting suicide or self harm, not to much for those who are the victims.

So no matter how hopeless things might seem spare a moment to ensure your actions do not end up destroying someone like me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.