one new thing everyday!

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by vbuk, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

so to keep your mind actice your meant to learn one new thing every day. after a discussion in chat about the discovery of uranus i figured we should all learn something new each day.

This prob wont catch on and ill just look like a fool (no change there then) but ill post in it!!

ok so today was the day uranus was discovered. it was by a british astonomer called Frederick William Herschel. this was in 1781.

(thank you BBC) :tongue:

anyone else learn anything today
  2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I learnt that it's amazing what work you can do, just with a positive attitude.
  3. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

OMGOODNESS! I was there ^.^ lol.

I learned that my sister is great at making pie.

4. Joshuwah

Joshuwah Well-Known Member

Today I learnt that making Cosplay kits are no walk in the park.
    Anyone else here do cosplay at all?
  5. I learned the origins of the concept of/the word "Hell", and it has nothing valid at all to do with some who condemnn others to it, predicting they will go there. It was a mis-translation. It's got quite the history...
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  6. Someone

Someone Active Member

Today I learnt how to do some more trigonometry.. Go trigonometry!
  7. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

vbuk I think this is a great topic..

unfortunately, I havent learned anything new today.. or at least I cant remember :mellow::huh:
  8. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

you have learnt of this post! and you have learnt that today is uranus's discovery day (unless you already knew that!!)
  9. ScouseJM

thats true, my bad :tongue:
  10. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

you also learned that carolines sister can cook :eek: hahaha, jk

11. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

i also just learnt what 'arsehole' is in german!!!
  12. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Any more words you want, just let me know ...
    (In her defence, I just said the word and what it was, without any prompting from Clare :tongue: )
  13. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

i learned that cephalalgia is a pretentious way to say 'headache'.
  14. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

*is totally innocent and never uses such bad language*

*tuts at joe for teaching her such filthy words - in 2 different languages!*
  15. My pesonal fave is schweinhundt (few other words in any language match that one! Though the literal translation does it no justice whatsoever)

And ya, I also found this great thread today! :smile:

And I learned how to say "You're Welcome" in Irish Gaelic (literally, "a hundred thousand welcomes to you/before you")

Céad míle fáilte romhat!
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  16. ScouseJM

As native German speaker I must protest against the misuse of the German language. :D
  17. Not misuse - Educational! (I swear - and it rolls off my tongue - in English, German, Italian, French, and a few choice words in Egyptian and Arabic - very therapeutic). Und du? Nur auf Deutsch?
  18. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Putting too many toilet blocks in the cistern can cause overflowing :mad:
  19. ScouseJM

was nur auf deutsch? schimpfwoerter? :D

i can swear in greek but i'll keep this precious knowledge to myself lol
  20. ScouseJM

oh by the way today I have learned that..all these past weeks I have been waiting to get some sleep at night, last night I managed 4 hours.. initially I thought of it as success but not anymore.. when ur asleep time passes quicker and the next day that ur tryin so hard to avoid comes sooner.. so I dont wanna sleep but I dont wanna be awake and it means Im more stuck than I thought and thats what Ive learned today
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.