One question

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Teryan, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teryan

Teryan Active Member

Why do doctors and or some other people look at people with depression, bipolarity as crazy people? this may not be the case at where you guys live but, i had just recently OD-ed and they wanted to keep me in another hospital for observation, and when I got there, it was full of retarded (not in a mean way) and crazy people. I went home immediately after that. I am clearly sure i'm not "crazy", i understand if they wanted to keep me in observation and keep me safe from suicide, but couldn't they just keep me in a normal hospital where i can actually talk to someone? the fact that they took me to a hospital full of crazy people made me feel more out of place. Has anyone ever gone through this? and why do some people look at me as crazy whenever i say i'm depressed?

I'm really really sorry if what i said offended anyone.

2. Concave

Concave Active Member

I had a good friend who was an extremely bad cutter. One night she went to town on her arm w/ a Logan's steakhouse knife. Needless to say her arm was bad. I had to take my shirt and tie it around her arm to stop the bleeding. She had been to the normal er so many times they took her to the "state hospital". I went and saw her the next day and it made her that much more miserable being in their w/ all the crazies and what not. She was super paranoid about her arm getting infected (understandably). I guess they never know if one might freak out at a normal hospital and try and escape, or try and self harm or kill one's self again. I don't necessarilly agree w/ this practice... its just the way it seems to be. It definately made my friend even more depressed being in their for 3 days while she stabalized. The state hospitals have tighter security and people who are supposed to watch more, but I think they should separte the people in a better fashion who are there... it would definately help most who get sent there and are not totally bonkers.

3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I think it is easier to label people crazy, instead of admitting that they have no idea as to what is wrong with people. They like to charge tons of money to give medicine that they know won't solve the problems, it will just make it tolerable, or keep you more tolerable to be around. You are not crazy, and the truth is everyone suffers from something. I used to, but my faith, and spiritual life has helped me understand everything. It also helps me with everything. So I no longer suffer. It is the only thing I have found to help me, and I am sticking with it. It's free, productive, and satisfying all at once. I would be crazy to give it all up! Laughs. Blessings..

4. Teryan

Teryan Active Member

i can completely agree with your friend. The thought of staying in a "state hospital" will only worsen the fact of how she and i in this case would feel. I mean I would not want society to see me as a mentally disabled person. I'm sure every other person who has had this experience wants the same thing and the doctor's concern was us crashing down and taking our own lives. I appreciate their intentions, just that i wish they had thought more about how i and everyone else who's in the same situation would feel about being in a "state hospital".

I am not religious, where as in fact i dont have a religion, BUT i am a believer in God. I accept and respect every aspect view of God, from the Moslem, Christians and etc. I do agree that faith will help with depression.. it will help others more than some. To sit down and have a conversation with God is calming and peaceful, but sometimes I just need something or someone else to be there with us through the rough times and eventually i'll be able to stand up by myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
  5. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

This is a good question, However, we are being kept for observation. That is what psych wards are made for. When it cones to hospitals I am sure there is a principle that our wounds have been tended to so there is no longer a place for us in the hospital.

:sad: this is why I don't want to go to a hospital for help.

6. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

I think it's because they can't relate to the situation or see it from the persons perspective.
    Or maybe they just had previous experience with depressed people that we're actualy crazy.
    The reasons can go on.

7. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

I read your post and it seems like I was reading my own story. It happened to me exactly the same! after 7 hours in a 'normal' hospital where they stabilized me, the sent me to a psy hospital full of crazy and screaming people. I felt even more depressed after that. The bad thing is that I was entered as 'non-voluntary' entry so I had to demand a change of that status before I could leave the horrible place. A total nightmare!! i totally understand you and the bad thing is that now I can't go for help at the normal hospital because they will immediately send me to the psy one! so I am alone at this.

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I think the reason that they trasfer depressed/suicidal people from 'normal hospitals' to 'mental hospitals' is because they need the hospital beds for emergency patients and in a mental hospital, there is no access to tools such as knives, blades or other sharp opjects that someone could use to harm themselves. They may also do this for liability reasons. When you're under the care of a medical doctor, the doctor must ensure that you aren't able to harm yourself, otherwise they could be in trouble. In a normal hospital, there are scalpels and other doctor tools which could be used inappropriately. Also mental hospitals are specially designed for people with mental illnesses and not only for 'crazy' people.

9. Teryan

Teryan Active Member

Because of this i started asking myself if I should just stop asking for help and put on a mask, because it seems like every people i ask for help they only see me as this crazy suicidal person. but that does not mean im going to give up hope.

10. Teryan

Teryan Active Member

Dave_N I can completely understand if they transfer the mentally ill patients for the reason to make more room for the physically hurt patients, but shouldn't they consider the mind and well being of us? I understand that the mental hospital are specially designed for the mentally ill as well but in some cases it makes us feel uncomfortable and out of place.. at some cases it makes us feel that society views us as 'crazy', but I do understand their concern is our safety because of the dangerous tools around in a normal hospital. But ah well I guess this will always be a complicated subject

11. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

Im sorry you went through that. In todays world its sad its still like that anywhere. As long as you know your not crazy (which you are not) forget them!!!!I am praying for you~ You seem like a great person and no one in the hospital or anywhere can take that from you!!!! Depression is often a raional reaction to crazy circumstances!!!! You seem FINE to me!!!! I would not care what the hospital thinks. We know youre awesome!!!!

Marty

12. Teryan

Teryan Active Member

Thank you marty482, I know i'm not crazy and i am sure about it. I went through that and it was a horrible experience, I understand the hospital's intention if they were trying to make sure we won't do anything that might harm us but still it was a horrible experience. What i'm sad and afraid that other people might take it more seriously than how I did.
    once again thanks alot for sharing your thoughts and support guys.

13. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I'm sorry that being in a mental hospital makes you feel out of place, but the primary concern of your doctors is keeping you safe. I agree that being placed with the 'crazy' people probably makes you feel even more depressed, but again the doctors have to keep you guys in a place that will ensure that you can't harm yourselves while under their care. And in a padded cell, there isn't much that one can harm him/herself with. According to the doctors, people who are suicidal are mentally ill, because they consider suicidal thoughts a mental illness like depression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.