One simple thing fixes everything

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by absolom, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. absolom

absolom Banned Member

Everyone could carry on with their lives. I wouldn't be a burden anymore. I could be with my mom. It really does feel like it would be a good decision. I've suffered with mental illness and severe suicidal ideation for 5 years. The only time it is quiet is when I self-medicate at the same time as taking my prescriptions. I wake up the next day and I am disappointed that I woke up.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Suicide is not the way to go. In what way and with what are you self medicating? Self medicating isn't the route to go down either. You will be a mess and in different frames of mind from time to time and that alone can make one suicidal. Please take care of yourself and keep talking to us here. We do care :hug:
  3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I know and understand how you are currently feeling. You have to remain strong but which to easy to say but hard to do. You are no longer alone as life is important and that means YOU. I know you miss your mum but she would not like to see you suffering but rather be happy. I'm not trying to horrible but showing empathy.

You will get support from this community and I hope you keep posting as we care about YOU. You are no longer alone now. Be safe and I hope this helps you. It's ok to cry as it help you release the internal anguish you feel.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Well-Known Member

I self-medicated for years. Alcohol was my poison. Then when I was initially diagnosed I got some meds, and I carried on with the alcohol. Finally I dumped the alcohol, and the cracks of light finally started to show.

Self-medication is a commonly used term - heaven knows I use it a lot - but it's not a very accurate one. Using the word "medication" in it infers it's a kind of treatment, when really it's just the obliteration of everything. It's certainly is no way to go.

What you really need is good, targeted, treatment from a professional. The trouble with problems of the mind is that there is no one med. I mean, if we have a headache the world takes an Aspirin, and the headache goes away. But with mental health issues it's nowhere near so easy. In fact, I'm learning that each and every one of use needs treatments that are tailor-made for us. Frustratingly, all the time we're seeking that perfect combination, we have to endure various degrees of suffering. You just have to keep at it - it can be done with time. It's not helped by the fact that some of the meds don't have any effect for 6 weeks or so of starting them.....

My advice - visit this site. The rest of them are quite nice. :D

More importantly, think about ways to stop self-medicating. The meds can only do so much, and likely you are defeating them by self-medicating as well. Then, if the meds are doing it for you, get back to the professional who prescribed them and tell them it's not working. They have lots of tools in the toolbox, honestly!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.