One slip of the knife and all the feelings and urges come back.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Blackness, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Last week I was in the kitchen (always a high danger area! :tongue:) and it was like I went into a trace and the next thing I knew, I was carving into my wrist with a steak knife. It felt soooooo good, as I had banned myself from cutting my wrist for months!!!

I hadn't SHed in a bit less than a month prior to this incident. the urges were gone and I was coping, but since this slip up, it seems as if some of the urges are back. Two nights ago I again found myself on my bed cutting into my hip. I didn't enjoy it as much, but still I feel the need to do it.

Can we ever be free from SH?

2. justgettinby

justgettinby Well-Known Member

It's hard to say if we'll ever be free from the urge. I know exactly how you feel. I myself stopped cutting for a few months, then a couple of weeks ago found myself back at the old habit. But it didn't feel good like it used to. I think the longer we can keep trying to make it a constant habit, the less we'll feel the need to do it. Maybe we've found other ways to cope with our feelings. Anyway, stay strong! I've quit again so far, and so can you!

3. __Rawr.Tigga

__Rawr.Tigga Well-Known Member

Heyy

Whether or not you can ever be completely free from it no-one knows. I think personally that even if you free yourself from it's grasp, it will always still be laying dormant within, waiting to attack again. And the smallest thing can trigger it off again. BUt you've just got to resist. Urges are powerful things but they can be resisted. And you can get free. You've just got to be strong :smile:

So don't give in hun. Just start on over and try again. Resist the urge. You can stop!

Take care and keep strong hun,
    Tigga
    x

4. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

i have to say, i've been cut free for 2 months (today..wohoo!) and i get the urge to cut every single day, at least 3 or 4 times. i've just learned to ignore them or occupy myself until i can call someone or i've forgotten about it!

stay strong darling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.